How dark is this tint?

Looks like 35% over the factory glass.... that’s what I had on my Kia.
6441ABAC-73A3-40E9-8125-9F6E8BA828FF.jpeg
5F9B0447-E0FA-4302-9BA3-4B618010DB7C.jpeg

35% front, rest are factory tints. Agree with others as the darkness of tint really depends on the angle you look at the windows, interior colour (black ones makes much darker), ambient lighting, etc.

1603168268161.png

Many people don't understand that a tint rated at whatever percent, lets say 35%, will be darker than 35% when installed on glass.
Many cars come with 85-74% on the door windows and rear glass, SUV's and minivans much darker except for the front door glass.
So if your state allows 35%, a cop will fail it using a tint meter if you have 35% tint installed.

Also one of the signs of a decent tint shop. Some installers just want to slap on whatever, but a good shop will know things like that and will discuss it with you prior to install.

FWIW, here's 20% all the way around with a light (Grey) interior, reads approx 11-12% on a tint meter. The Accord behind it is also 20% with a tan interior.

IMG_20161002_142625145_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So how do you guys see at night when you back up let alone drive forward? It also seems really dark tint would spook a cop that can’t see anything, especially in the back seat area. Or does everyone just drive on clear sunny days?

So how do you guys see at night when you back up let alone drive forward? It also seems really dark tint would spook a cop that can’t see anything, especially in the back seat area. Or does everyone just drive on clear sunny days?

I wouldn't go any darker than what I have. As I get older I think about dropping to 35% on the front doors. It's usually no problem for me looking out the sides as headlights are plenty bright at night. The only thing you wouldn't be able to see is if someone was tooling around without their lights on. As for backing up, if it is completely dark around me, yes I have to drop the window to see out, but for me, most of the time, if there is a little ambient light out I can see fine for backing up.

I wouldn’t go any darker than 20%, which according to both my vehicles windows is what the the rears are from the factory. Brake lights and reverse lights cast enough light that I can see when backing up, backup cam helps as well. As for cops, I just roll my windows down and turn on the interior lights so they can see in.

Can anybody give me a guess as to the darkness of this tint? 35%?

The max we can legally have in my state is 50% so would this be illegal? Owner doesn't know the % of it.View attachment 32133
I got a ticket in Cleveland ohio with a lighter tint than that. Had to go to court, show pictures of before and after the removal of the tint.

I got a ticket in Cleveland ohio with a lighter tint than that. Had to go to court, show pictures of before and after the removal of the tint.

It's fairly rare around here to be pulled over just for tint. Although I did get nabbed twice in a month in two different cars about 6 years ago. Conversation went:

Deputy: Do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: Actually, no (I hadn't been speeding at that time, just had gotten on the highway)
Deputy: Can you roll your window up some?
Me: Ohh (laughing) that, it's going to read about 11-12%
Deputy: (chuckling) so you know right?
Me: yea
Deputy: Have a good one

I was ready to peel them on the side of the road if he was going to cite me for them, but most guys are cool about it as long as you're not a douche.

Fun fact: In the state of GA, illegal window tint is a finger printable offense. Technically they're supposed to lock you up so you can be printed and bond out on it. I've never in 6 years seen anyone do that in my county though. Don't know why it is, it just is. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I didn't write the law.

Many people don't understand that a tint rated at whatever percent, lets say 35%, will be darker than 35% when installed on glass.
Many cars come with 85-74% on the door windows and rear glass, SUV's and minivans much darker except for the front door glass.
So if your state allows 35%, a cop will fail it using a tint meter if you have 35% tint installed.

You are not suggesting that tint gets put on top of tint, are you?

You are not suggesting that tint gets put on top of tint, are you?

No, he's saying that even in a car with apparently clear windows, window film when applied, will be darker than the percentage on the box. There is a small amount of 'baked in' tint in 99.9% of all factory auto glass.

For example, 21% tint on my Accord's side windows reads 11-12% on a tint meter.

This Subaru I had came with pretty dark tint but didn't stand out as much because of the black paint.

large.jpg

I have a white Kia with even darker tint. You have to roll down the windows at night to look out the rear view mirrors dark. Surprised I haven't been pulled over by now.

Back