How clean is Motorcraft 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSF

Motorcraft 5W20 is all I have used for 53,000 miles in a V6 Mazda Tribute with 5,000 mile OCIs. My only reference is the timing chain and it's bright and shiny. I'm ~500 miles into an AutoRX cleaning phase now and will let you know what gets loosened up during the rinse. So far the oil is no different than it usually is at 2500 miles. I'll post my results in ~2 months.

I too am curious, as it is a synthetic blend. At least motorcraft is. I would think, and that is a dangerous term, that a blend would provided some of the cleaning benefits. I have not done any searching yet but I wonder if all the 5W20's are blends?

Not all. I know that Penzoil 5W20 isn't and I just discontinued using it in my '01 Mustang and am switching to a 5W30 full synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by Ganton:
Not all. I know that Penzoil 5W20 isn't and I just discontinued using it in my '01 Mustang and am switching to a 5W30 full synthetic.

I was under the impression that in order to meet the Ford specs a 5W-20 had to be at least part Group III
dunno.gif
. Somewhere in this tangled web of info I seem to remember that Pennzoil is Group II or II+ and Group III. While Group III is not technically a true "synthetic" it's still regarded as one. All I know is that the Motorcraft and Pennzoil 5W-20's seem to produce really good UOA's when used in engines that ask for 5W-20. Even under stressful conditions.

Whimsey

Here's some random TBNs (Total Base Numbers). Motorcraft's is not available since their stupid website still refers to pre-2001 SJ oil! But it should be in line with the other 5w-20s here, I would think...

Union 76 5w-20: 8.0
Union 76 5w-30: 6.2
Union 76 10w-30: 6.2
Kendall GT-1 5w-20: 7.4
Kendall GT-1 5w-30: 6.2
Kendall GT-1 10w-30: 6.2
Valvoline 5w-30: 7
Valvoline 10w-30: 7

Looks like detergent/dispersant qualities are one thing you needn't worry about with 5w-20s.

It has been stated numerous times here by some people in the biz, that any SL rated oil which meets Ford's 5w-20 specs has to be at least part group III (castrol like pseudo synthetic). Pennzoil 5w-20 is a group II+/group III mix with, if memory serves me right, nearly 40% being group III. That would help explain the high TBNs.

Perhaps G-Man II or Johnny can verify the numbers.

quote:

Motorcraft 5W20 is all I have used for 53,000 miles in a V6 Mazda Tribute with 5,000 mile OCIs. My only reference is the timing chain and it's bright and shiny. I'm

It doesn't mean much, not on the Ford Modular motors at least because the chain rubs against nylon guides on the timing chain tensioners.

"It doesn't mean much, not on the Ford Modular motors at least because the chain rubs against nylon guides on the timing chain tensioners."

Is this the latest morphification of the "thin oil is bad" crowd? Not sure what this has to do with TBNs, detergents, or dispersants. Or the fact that this Mazda's timing chain valley is free of sludge and varnish, which should suggest the Motorcraft 5w-20 D&D package is quite effective in that particular engine.

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:
It has been stated numerous times here by some people in the biz, that any SL rated oil which meets Ford's 5w-20 specs has to be at least part group III (castrol like pseudo synthetic). Pennzoil 5w-20 is a group II+/group III mix with, if memory serves me right, nearly 40% being group III. That would help explain the high TBNs.

Perhaps G-Man II or Johnny can verify the numbers.

I can, the Pennzoil 5w-20 is all group II to dispell the has to have some group III thing

The TBN will come from the additives , not base oils .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I can, the Pennzoil 5w-20 is all group II to dispell the has to have some group III thing

When the 5w20s meeting the Ford spec first started coming out 3 years ago, they DID have to have some Group III in them for "correction." Improved catalyst technology has gotten Group II+ to the point that its Noack and oxidation numbers are as good as HC Group III used to be, hence 5w20s can now be made with all Group II+. Molakule touched on this awhile back in a post about Motorcraft/Conoco 5w20. Pennzoil probably went all Group II+ with their 5w20 about the time we started seeing increased levels of boron and moly in the UOAs and VOAs.

Just wondering, I know motorcraft 5w20 is a good oil, but I wonder how clean it leaves your engine if your oci is 5000 miles. Anyone out there with experience with this oil, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back