How can wives not notice this stuff.

I do not drive her FJ much. Been a few weeks since I last drove it. We went to the mountains in it yesterday. I knew something was wrong before we got out of the driveway.

Found the rear shocks completly blown out!

I asked her how long it had been so bouncy in the rear and she said she did not notice anything unusual.

IMG_20200517_180652.jpg

Because it's a gradual loss of performance over time rather than a sudden one. Plus, you're tuned to notice that sort of thing due to your occupation.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Guessing cheap Monroes since they are blue? Not knocking, I use them too, but their lifespan is short.

Bilstein?

Yeah some people are clueless.

My mom once told me her car was making a loud noise.

Turns out, the brake pads were worn into the rotors so bad, that the grinding ruined the caliper. Had to drive it with the parking brake as there was no brake pressure.

My daughter completely destroyed her brakes. She didn't notice the grinding that had to be going on for some time. She paid for it.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Guessing cheap Monroes since they are blue? Not knocking, I use them too, but their lifespan is short.

Bilstein?

Ya oem I believe.

Bilstein?

Those have blue dust boots/covers but are usually at least half yellow. All blue everything is going to be a good 'ol Monroe Gas Matic, often $20-30...better than a blown out 20 year old shock, but not meant to last that long themselves.

Originally Posted by Chris142

Bilstein?

Ya oem I believe.

Google FJ Cruiser Bilstein, there are Toyota dealers selling them. They are blue and silver.

You took off cheap Monroes.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Probably the same way husbands don't notice dishes in the sink or laundry piling up..........

01.gif

I'm proud to say my wife notices even very minor things. A crooked steering wheel, tire imbalance, wonky handling, weird noises, nothing gets past her. A 65 year old woman..... After 43 years of marriage I've trained her well. It helps that all our cars are maintained to an extremely high standard. That makes it easy to know when something is amiss.

Scott

Which one is blown out? They both look [censored]. The one on the left looks like it's leaking and the one on the right must be the blown out one.

Google FJ Cruiser Bilstein, there are Toyota dealers selling them. They are blue and silver.

You took off cheap Monroes.

Yeah the Bilsteins were on the TRD models. My dad's were blown on his FJ at like 70k miles, Almost all street miles too. He put on TRD Bilstein take offs from the dealer.

My wife is good at letting me know things. I am very hard of hearing/deaf so my wife is my ears. I have talked with her about different parts of the car so she knows what to be attentive to.

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Probably the same way husbands don't notice dishes in the sink or laundry piling up..........

Not me. I can't stand either piled up.

This may sound like sacrilege (and it probably is) but I'm not too fussed about oil staining on a shock. The rear shocks on my Volvo had oil staining, but because money was tight (I was back in school again) and they still worked fine, I left them alone. They were still fine 10 years later. Never did replace those shocks.

Back