How can I remove torque strut/motor mount insert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, the motor mount insert (rubber piece) is bad on my Ford Five-Hundred. I called O'reilly and they don't have the whole torque strut but they do have the insert. Does anyone know how to get the insert out and put the new one in?

How do I put the new one in? And is there a better way than burning it out because burning it out is messy

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Burn the old one out, press the new one in.

That won't work, I can't burn it out, the circular metal piece that needs to be pressed in/out won't burn out. I think the only way is to remove the whole strut and take it to someone with a press. Or if maybe I can find a way to get it out myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 7055
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Burn the old one out, press the new one in.

That won't work, I can't burn it out, the circular metal piece that needs to be pressed in/out won't burn out. I think the only way is to remove the whole strut and take it to someone with a press. Or if maybe I can find a way to get it out myself.

Yes you need a press, or someone who has one. Depending on your shop/garage a press can be had for around $200 for a harbor freight 20 ton. I have a 12 ton, i wish i had gotten the 20.

Pay an automotive machinist to press out the old one and press in the new one. The labor cost would be about $20-$25.

However, you are far better off buying an OEM mount even if it is costly. I find most aftermarket motor mounts or inserts last about 1 year, and some are defective right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back