How can i flush auto trans fluid myself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mechanics charge to much to flush tranny fluid, so i wanted to do it myself. It's an 03 Elantra with over 50k miles on original fluid. I'm changing it to synthetic so i want to get all of the old oil out. I know one way to do it is through cooling lines, but is there anything i should know about the procedure. Or are there any other ways of doing this. Thanks
smile.gif

I use a fluid evacuator to extract fluid out of the tranny dipstick (or fill hole with some newer vehicles). I do this every year to keep fresh fluid in the transmission. It also helps when changing the filter as I can get most of the fluid out of the pan so when the pan comes down little mess is made.

So it does not have a drain plug?
If not..just siphon (on a hot day) and probably get a couple quarts out. Just do it a few times.

quote:

know one way to do it is through cooling lines, but is there anything i should know about the procedure.

Do the cooling line method. It's so easy you will want to do it again too soon. It took me all of about 10 minutes to do my van. Get a Magnefine and a short piece of the appropriate size hose..and start ..drain ..shut off...refill ..start ..drain ..shut off ..refill ..etc..etc..etc.

Very easy ...very tidy ...very quick. If you want to drop the pan and change whatever you have in there for a filter ..then just interupt one of the drain ..refill cycles ..do the pan service..resume.

Fine~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back