How brake pads are made

Status
Not open for further replies.
"You still have to replace them because they're rusted."

No. At least, not in that case. A quick clean up and proper lube and that pad would go right back into service on one of my vehicles.

I enjoy ChrisFix videos. He joined us on the BITOG sponsored Pennzoil Experience in Texas a few years ago. He is a very genuine, down-to-earth person that learned automotive care by the seat-of-the-pants (he graduated college as a marine biologist). His perspective helps him share his material well-suited to shadetree, diy backyard mechanics.

I always enjoy "how things are made" videos and this one was interesting, if you can ignore that it's a promotional advertisement for NRS. It's ironic that I just learned about NRS a few weeks ago while investigating EBC brake components: https://ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake-pad-backplates-with-nrs-hooks/ . Regarding the rust comments, I think one concern is if it gets under the pad material and pops it off the backing plate. But, yes, this video is an advertisement meant to promote the NRS system and of course they are going to play up the rust thing.

I have yet to see galvanized backing pads, but it seems like a great idea for the rust belt. A visit to the NRS site ( https://nrsbrakes.com/ )shows that they have a very limited selection of brake pads. Also missing is any coverage of what the friction material is manufactured with, friction ratings, etc..

Thanks for sharing the video.

Very well-made video. My only complaint is that Mr. Fix needs to take a breath once in a while. All that high-energy level of speaking gets quickly tiresome.

youTube needs the speed adjustment feature most podcast players have. Turning Chris down to about 80% of his going rate would solve this for most.

I don't find his speed a problem as I find most speak too slowly and I'm wanting to crank them up to 1.25x like I do with podcasts.

But I've wanted a speed adjustment feature for youtube to speed up some videos...

FWIW,

Edited to add, I just went looking and youTube does have this feature where you can set playback from 0.25x to 2x using the custom playback slider.

Originally Posted by RF Overlord
Very well-made video. My only complaint is that Mr. Fix needs to take a breath once in a while. All that high-energy level of speaking gets quickly tiresome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour
But I've wanted a speed adjustment feature for youtube to speed up some videos...

If you use Chrome, there is an extension that adds the ability to the playback screen:

YouTube Playback Speed

I have been using it a long time and is nice (I play most vids @ 1.5-1.75 speed).

Interesting video though.
My problem is his voice annoys me for some reason (regardless of playback speed).

Speed sounded fine to me. Bit faster than normal conversation, but just right for something pretty easy to follow along.

[Read an autobiography by a blind man. He mentioned that he listens to many books and papers on tape (go figure). But his program can speed it up. I forget how fast but I think it was more than twice the typical talking speed. I guess if you do that often enough, you get used to it.]

I too would have just cleaned up the rust and reused. Little bit of filing if necessary; I almost always have to file. Even when I clean out the caliper bracket, it just seems like they won't slide real well otherwise. Once they are not interference fit, bit of grease (I use M77 as per The_Critic's suggestion). I do try to put some onto the caliper bracket also, to try to slow down rust. I also do this on a yearly basis, and sometimes twice a year if I'm not feeling lazy.

But I will cut the guy some slack. At the 1 minute mark, I couldn't quite tell but he might have had some delamination going on. It may well have been time. Without running a pick in there it's impossible to tell, but once I get erosion around the edges is when I replace.
[Linked Image]

I enjoyed the video, but having worked in automotive stamping for most of my career, I can say that Nucap has far too much inventory of steel coil in stock! they should not have this much for best practices, it really adds to their costs.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
I enjoyed the video, but having worked in automotive stamping for most of my career, I can say that Nucap has far too much inventory of steel coil in stock! they should not have this much for best practices, it really adds to their costs.

Good point.
Any good Factory today should be practicing (to some degree) - Just in time delivery.

I did like the Video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back