HOW BOUT MIXING????

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems that the mixture would be 7.5w30..........thus, alieviating this confusion about 5w vs 10w

ANYONE?

Since I have been hearing the pros and cons of each weight.........5w30 and 10w30......I thought of something.

Can I just use 3 quarts of 5w30 and 3 quarts of 10w30 for the best of both worlds and less confusuion???

Anyone? Thanks
confused.gif

Anyone know if this seems logical since its in-between the 2 ideal weights for my car?

confused.gif

Homebrewing is best left for beer---I know that I need to quote someone, but I lost the thread where I stole that quote from!

Sounds like a pseudo 7.5w30.

I mix all the time. I seem to always have leftover quarts from all the changes that I do.
I never had any problems with blends like that.

There honestly is no real need to do this, in a warm climate where you live you only need 10w30. It's warm enough there that 10w oils will flow virtually as fast as 5w oils anyways. Only when it gets colder out does the 5w show an advantage.

I E mailed Mobil with reguards to using 4 litres of 10W-30 SS and 1.7 liters of 15W-50 SS (Jeep 4.0L takes this amount)in a summer time condition...I post their answer when I get one.

quote:

Originally posted by Greaser:
I E mailed Mobil with reguards to using 4 litres of 10W-30 SS and 1.7 liters of 15W-50 SS (Jeep 4.0L takes this amount)in a summer time condition...I post their answer when I get one.

They'll tell you it's perfectly OK, just as it used to be posted on their website under FAQ.

I'm with Patman on this one; I don't see the point of mixing 5W-30 & 10W-30. I'd think one or the other would give you better results, but 10W-30 would always be my first choice between those two.

Just out of curiosity, what "confusion" are you referring to?

The confusion of some guys saying 5w30 is better since it flows better and is recommended for new cars/owners manual. Then the other half say 10w30 protects better! I feel both are acceptable to use it warm climates like california, but the arguing I see goes back and forth on what guys use.

quote:

Originally posted by z284life:
The confusion of some guys saying 5w30 is better since it flows better and is recommended for new cars/owners manual. Then the other half say 10w30 protects better! I feel both are acceptable to use it warm climates like california, but the arguing I see goes back and forth on what guys use.

5w30 will flow better than 10w30, but mainly in cold weather. When it's hot outside, both will flow virtually the same. So for hot California you simply have no real need for 5w30 that's all. Also, with a pushrod engine like you've got, faster oil flow on cold startup isn't quite as critical as it would be in an overhead cam engine.

[ April 28, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

So then again, seems like 10w30 is better since most people reccomend this in warmer climates.

2 cents:

If my memory serves me, I think I remember that the cold-crank viscosity for Mobil-1 10W-30 is significanly lower than that for most-all dino 5W-30s...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back