How big is the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it's a stupid map, and I don't know what they are trying to prove...the table on the right is a list of "countries" for want of a better word.

Then they pack Africa, the continent, with a select list of countries, not in list of largest to smallest, but countries that fit in the continent of Africa.

Comparing apples/grapefruit, and calling the "conclusions very accurate".

Comparing Continents...
http://geography.about.com/od/lists/a/largecontinent.htm

50,662 members in here,,,at least 1000 could respond. Don't let the minority over throw the majority,,,whoops,,thats political , maybe??
50662 Members
64 Forums
216426 Topics
3404985 Posts I didn't make this up, its in the lefthand margin.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The square feet typo had me in stitches.

Yeah,LOLed...but it said that it "exceeds" that many square feet, which is technically accurate.

I read an article a few months ago which stated that the populations of certain African countries continue to grow despite being in an almost constant state of famine.......the impetus for this is aid from America and Europe.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I read an article a few months ago which stated that the populations of certain African countries continue to grow despite being in an almost constant state of famine.......the impetus for this is aid from America and Europe.

Their society had evolved way before the convenience of blaming aid into one in which you had many children because infant mortality would claim most of them before they got to look after you in your old age.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Alaska is not represented. I think it alone is nearly half the size again of the USA.

Not really...

alaska: 663k square miles
us total (with alaska): 3718k square miles

Mainland USA IS small -- compared to a large continent.

However I can't take seriously any article from a media source that cannot spell words correctly. They used "shear" as in sheep when they should have used "sheer". Yes, a small mistake in lettering but a huge one in meaning. But if you are putting out written media of any kind, it should be correct.

The writer of the article complains about people not understanding maps. Perhaps he shoukd educate himself on the difference between countries and continwnts. A better size comparison would have been between continents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: pbm

Their society had evolved way before the convenience of blaming aid into one in which you had many children because infant mortality would claim most of them before they got to look after you in your old age.

I can try to find the article if you would like to read it.
It's certainly an eye opener. I can't get into the specifics here because it's too political.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

However I can't take seriously any article from a media source that cannot spell words correctly.

Perhaps he shoukd educate himself on the difference between countries and continwnts.

I could not agree more.

Lot of jungle. Meh.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Why isn't Canada represented?

Perhaps because its larger than Africa?

Must be.
crackmeup2.gif

LOL

How about North America vs Africa?!

Last edited: