How bad to idle my brand new Toyota/Scion tC for 8 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We slept in an idling Honda Civic in central Cali once. The radio said it was 137 in Death Valley that day. Mobil 1 in the engine. No problem. You won't sleep 8 hours though. 3 if you're lucky!

Thank you all for the suggestions and opinions at this point... except for those of you that tell me to get a motel room.

NEVER AGAIN will I sleep in a motel.

-

What kind of car?

quote:

Originally posted by JR:
I have done this many times. I have never had a problem. Have slept in rest stops for six to eight hours on some accations. I make sure the tank is always topped off first. I know this is not much to use to justify my choices but I raise the fact that many if not all OTR trucks idle for hour upon hours everyday while on a long hual to keep the air cooled or heat warm while sleeping and what not. These trucks see this type of operation for most of there life spans and still provide many times a million miles of service.

quote:

Originally posted by i:

Just how bad would this be for the motor, and why?

At under 5K miles your engine will still be in the break-in process. Running the engine at any one RPM for extended periods is NOT recommended. Why? Because doing so can create a wear pattern on the cyl walls at that given RPM instead of a nice even wear pattern which is what you want during break in.

In addition, on your road trip i would also recommend NOT using the cruise control for the same reasons. If you do, attempt to vary your speed by at least 5MPH every hour.

Not following these recommendations will not make your car blow up tomorrow, but it may make the difference between 150K miles and 300K miles on the orig engine before an overhaul is needed.

If it were my car, i wouldn't do it. Then again, if it were my car, i'd get that factory oil out ASAP as well.

Probably didn't hurt it to much. If anything would suffer a little shorter life, most likely it would be emission equipment.

Park so that the front is aiming into the wind, you'll be fine. If you get worried about the long duration, break it up. Power nap for 2 to 3 hours and then hit the road again and do it all over as opposed to one fell swoop.

Having had the valve cover off on my OHC saturn I can confirm that oil sprays everywhere... and plentifully... at idle.

These new cars with body control modules running the gauges most likely have chime dingers to go with the warning lights. Check your manual.

It's probably not that great for your catalytic convertor, but what's the federal warranty on that, 120k miles? And new weld-in ones are as cheap as $50 even with the OBD-II rear O2S bung.

With the AC on you'll have constant electric fan action which will stabilize your underhood temp perhaps even lower than it would be if you had AC off and the fan cycling.

It's not great for the car and you're getting the responses I'd expect. But do what you want to do.

Cheap motel. Much easier on the back. And why take the risk with a nice new motor like that?

Or, crack the windows a little and sleep in the car with the motor off. How bad can it be, especially since you're already willing to face the discomfort of a night on a small car seat?

When I drove for a living ..sleeping 8 hours behind the wheel was common. I was typically exhausted. The usual was a 3 hour rest session. I'd just stay behind the wheel with it idling ..window cracked. The freaky thing was parking under a bridge on the interstate. Sooner or later a big rig (I was either in my pickup truck or an econo-box) would blast by and the votex would shake the car waking me up. I'd open my eyes ..see the guardrail and the outline of the trailer lights and hit the brakes every time.

Once I went to sleep in my dual tank Chevy. I didn't switch tanks before going to sleep and ran out. The battery ran dead and I had to get a jump.

I've slept so long in a car that more then one trucker was on a run and saw me parked that when he came back through and saw me still parked there ..he stopped figuring that someone was dead. I was returning from my second trip to University Park in as many days. I ran out of steam at the exact same spot and pulled over. I woke up to an idling unmarked State Police car and a dective. Someone must have thought that I was dead. He was nice enough ..but still cautions as I scrambled for paper work to show him in my post sleep fog.

I'd say keep it short ...crack the hood (post a note to close it- it's easy to be in a fog and decide to drive off with it unlatched)..find shade. Keep in a highly visible location.

More then that
grin.gif
That's just the number of people who gave a whoot and checked to see if it was true. The rest threw a quarter their way in passing
dunno.gif

I happened to be in Corpus Christi, TX when Hurricane Rita entered the Gulf of Mexico last summer, and had to evacuate in the middle of the night. Home was a 10 hour drive away under normal conditions. Unfortunately this was not normal conditions. Stopped twice to rest and eat in roadside rest stops. Left my Durango idling for hours each time. Never experienced any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back