How bad is this?

That's exactly right, don't use duct tape for ducts, I wouldn't have known that until we got a new HVAC in July 2020. Also learned the refrigeration cycle down pat as an added bonus! I think you're ok with the tire just be careful and as other's said start thinking about replacement...if you're a Costco member I'd try them. I just like the ease with which to get warranty service or repairs....and the price is same as web etailers anyway.
Given that I have a 2000+ road trip planned for Thanksgiving, I think they're getting swapped before that trip.

check this out, these were the tires that came with my used car in 2016. Just got rid of them this summer.

When you insist upon the best, it will not be cheap. :ROFLMAO:

Your families life is worth more than $125. The tires are worn and it’s time to replace.

Are they worn out? How are you determining that?

If they are at the wear bars Id replace them,

I wouldnt ditch tires with life because of a chunk well short of the cord - I'd glue it down with plug glue and jeep on driving.

The strength comes from the cords.
Of course, but those cords are held firmly in place with the rubber, so why risk it? Yrs back I made the slightest bit of contact with a concrete curb in a parking garage that was quite narrow to get out of. The sidewall swipe was much less involved than what OP posted. Very little rubber missing, no sign of the cords, but in a short period of time a bubble did form and started seeping air so it was replaced.

Are they worn out? How are you determining that?

Read the thread. He said the tires at at 5/32. Close enough to worn out , plus the damage. I dont see the economic gain of continuing to run them. Life is valuable. Err on the side of caution.

People from different walks of life have differing options based on their economic status, I suppose. If it comes down to eating or new tires, then I guess run them longer. If you can afford a set of new tires, replace them. I’ve been dirt poor eating out of dumpsters and well off so Ive seen both ends of the spectrum. If you can afford new tires, replace them. Simple. If you can’t, make them last.

Read the thread. He said the tires at at 5/32. Close enough to worn out , plus the damage. I dont see the economic gain of continuing to run them. Life is valuable. Err on the side of caution.

People from different walks of life have differing options based on their economic status, I suppose. If it comes down to eating or new tires, then I guess run them longer. If you can afford a set of new tires, replace them. I’ve been dirt poor eating out of dumpsters and well off so Ive seen both ends of the spectrum. If you can afford new tires, replace them. Simple. If you can’t, make them last.
If you are used to trying to get them to 2-3/32 through timely rotation 5/32 isnt at all worn out.

Curious to see the tire vs the wear bar.

New tires are always nice, but I never saved any money throwing away consumables before they were used, and that lil chunk is no reason to ditch.

I certainly understand erring on the side of caution, and he is more susceptible to puncture when thin.

Im just a grumpy old man with so many tires to keep rolling dumping them early would be incredibly expensive.

Decided on a compromise.

Ordered a used Toyo A36 (same tire that matches my existing one) off of eBay that's around the same tread depth; when it arrives, the indy shop I've used in the past agreed to mount and balance it for me.

All told, it will cost all-in with purchase/mount/balancing less than half the price of a single new tire. I will definitely look to replace these in the next 6-8 months. Or possibly sooner if I happen to see a killer deal.

Doing so right now, while possible, would create problems elsewhere in my life, so I am doing what I can to put the big purchase off a bit and give myself some peace of mind on this matter.

All I'll say is that living under a strict/tight budget with almost zero elasticity is a (sometimes exhausting) balancing act. :)

Back