How bad is this?

I discovered I have a gouge in the sidewall of one of my tires, this probably happened a few/several days ago when I accidentally drove over a corner curb.

Anyway, I'll most probably take it to a tire shop for evaluation (there's one not far from me that seems reasonable), but I was hoping more educated eyes would be willing to venture an opinion.

I have the view that tires are safety equipment, so if its questionable, I'll be replacing the tires. They're getting down to ~5/32nds on all positions (I replace at 4/32nds in most cases). I'm concerned because it's solidly sidewall and I'd prefer to stay safe, especially since I do occasionally drive the CX5 hard.

If it matters, these are the factory Toyo A36's.

Thanks!

Attachments

• signal-2022-07-28-183952c.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-28-183952c.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 110
  • signal-2022-07-28-183952b.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-28-183952b.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 113
  • signal-2022-07-28-183952a.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-28-183952a.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 105
  • signal-2022-07-28-183952.jpeg
    signal-2022-07-28-183952.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 111
First time I've had any noticeable sidewall damage; figured BITOG was a good spot to get some more experienced eyes on the problem.

As an aside, should I snip off the flap of rubber or maybe get some rubber cement and stick it back together? Or is this a "doesn't really matter" kind of thing?

Thanks for the feedback everyone, and as a bonus I learned something new!

I’ll keep an eye on the tire just in case and I’ll probably go get some appropriate glue for it.

With only 5/32 left and 4/32 replacement policy I'd err on the side of caution and long life. If they were 11/32 tires with 10.5/32 still remaining maybe I'd try to watch them and keep going. But I've always believed I was worth more than a tire, any tire pretty much.

With only 5/32 left and 4/32 replacement policy I'd err on the side of caution and long life. If they were 11/32 tires with 10.5/32 still remaining maybe I'd try to watch them and keep going. But I've always believed I was worth more than a tire, any tire pretty much.
Same here as although tires are made to be quite tough that's still a chunk of rubber missing and no doubt a bit of strength lost. I'm all for maximizing every dollar, but some things aren't worth the risk.

i drove a fleet vehicle. fleet would replace those tires, i had some sidewall damage and it was done. Increases risk when they get hot on the highway of it opening up and blowing out.

I'd suggest replacing. Only debate is whether to buy 1 or a set of tires.

If you're strap for cash a junk yard tire might do the trick. Some of the 'independent' tire places are great at sourcing used tires.

OP is only 1/32 away from buying new tires. I would start looking now and figure out my choices then wait for the next rebate/sale. Labor days is just around the corner.

OP is only 1/32 away from buying new tires. I would start looking now and figure out my choices then wait for the next rebate/sale. Labor days is just around the corner.
This is actually some of what I'm doing, if I see an attractive sale I'll most likely spring for new tires.

As it is I keep thinking about this, so they may get replaced just to get it out of my head. Just not an expense I was prepared for right now.

The expectation was that I'd be fine until Spring of '23 given my driving has dropped significantly over the last several months. Oh well.

We have technical inspections here yearly. They pay particular attention to tyres. You need to have the same brand, model and size on an axle, and the same size on all axles unless staggered fitment was specifically approved.

They also condemn for wear and differences in wear across an axle or the load rating/speed rating are not good

That would not even cause a warning however. it's COSMETIC damage.

I'm out of duct tape.. However, I do have some foil-backed tape I also use for patching central air duct leaks. Would that work? ;)
That's exactly right, don't use duct tape for ducts, I wouldn't have known that until we got a new HVAC in July 2020. Also learned the refrigeration cycle down pat as an added bonus! I think you're ok with the tire just be careful and as other's said start thinking about replacement...if you're a Costco member I'd try them. I just like the ease with which to get warranty service or repairs....and the price is same as web etailers anyway.

Same here as although tires are made to be quite tough that's still a chunk of rubber missing and no doubt a bit of strength lost. I'm all for maximizing every dollar, but some things aren't worth the risk.
The strength comes from the cords.

Back