How Bad is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So obviously there is a big problem in the motor with these levels, what do you guys think.

VR1 20-50 in a small block chevy used at the track in 20-40 minute sessions over a weekend. Oil looked like gold paint when I drained it so I sent it in for testing.

This sample came out of the oil filter, I cut it open with tin snips.

Capture+_2019-11-28-20-09-46.png

I though it may have ate the cam but all the valves move as expected, that doesn't mean it didn't. That amount of iron really worries me.

Capture+_2019-11-28-22-50-23.png

Do you run leaded fuel? If so that's likely where your lead is coming from. It would be better to have the sample from the pan vs the filter. Also something to note is if you can see the particles the ICP cannot. The instrument will only see particles in the
David

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll pick door #2. Your small black Chevy probably has lead in the main bearings and one or more of the them got chewed up. For instance, if they were Clevite 77 Trimetal bearings they might have had a steel shell with a copper-lead alloy and metal babbitt containing tin and other alloys.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not sure what to think with the sample coming from inside the filter that you used snips on.

Should have taken a sample from the pan as it drained.

You have a ton of silicon in there, and potassium so i think there is coolant getting through the intake or head.

Originally Posted by spasm3
Not sure what to think with the sample coming from inside the filter that you used snips on.

Should have taken a sample from the pan as it drained.

You have a ton of silicon in there, and potassium so i think there is coolant getting through the intake or head.

+1 - but I still think you will be rebuilding the engine.

Hey guys, this is a great forum!

I know I should have pulled mid-stream but I started the drain and went in to other things. When i came back I saw the gold mine deposit on top of my pan. I Did drain the pan before I started but I use it to drain all my auto fluids so it would be contaminated at best.

I poured some oil in a mason her and screened it through a coffee filter, it was bad news.

I cut the filter with a pair of snips that i cleaned with Dawn then acetone.

Originally Posted by Boost1320
Do you run leaded fuel? If so that's likely where your lead is coming from. It would be better to have the sample from the pan vs the filter. Also something to note is if you can see the particles the ICP cannot. The instrument will only see particles in the
David

Nope I run an unleaded 95 race blend. Steel dizzy gear, brand new set of fel pro umbrella valve seals that stopped the blue/black haze at startup I was getting.

By the way, tons of Bittoggers run $35 oil checks and get the usual results: "wear metals look good; next time extend your OCI to xxxx miles and report back " (for another $35 hit).This is one of the first oil analysis I've seen that might actually help you make a useful decision on your engine. Flame suit in and shield in place.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
By the way, tons of Bittoggers run $35 oil checks and get the usual results: "wear metals look good; next time extend your OCI to xxxx miles and report back " (for another $35 hit).This is one of the first oil analysis I've seen that might actually help you make a useful decision on your engine. Flame suit in and shield in place.
smile.gif

I got your back
24.gif

Yeah it is clear there is bearing damage which is manageable. My biggest concern is the iron.

I will certainly post pictures.

Originally Posted by Twisted46
...My biggest concern is the iron.

It should be, it is the crank.

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

Prolly looks like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back