How bad is this? Frame Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was working on replacing the Cats, on a new to me used truck and saw this.... sad part was it was all painted and looked nice underneath when i bought it...i had it krowned and all the paint came off, and i'm assuming whatever they had covering this whole came off too. How much do you think a shop will charge to repair?

That is bad and could easily end up being much much worse! I wont get into how to repair it or estimate how much it would cost as we don't have any idea how thin the frame is in other places buy have not gone through yet.
Unload that thing!

Why would one area selectively rust through? Is this a low point n a boxed frame, where moisture can collect?

They had this problem with the 1955 Ford, where the frame would rust out right behind the rear axle. It was fixed with the 1956 model year when they made the frame with drain holes.

I'm a semi mechanic. I know modern semi truck frames are not to be welded nor drilled. Good luck finding anyone willing to fix it. Maybe a shop on the bad side of town will.

I would NOT wanna be in a front end collision in that truck. That rust and lack of frame structure can really turn things ugly if someone runs into you... .

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a semi mechanic. I know modern semi truck frames are not to be welded nor drilled. Good luck finding anyone willing to fix it. Maybe a shop on the bad side of town will.

I would NOT wanna be in a front end collision in that truck. That rust and lack of frame structure can really turn things ugly if someone runs into you... .

Looks to me like the spot right where the front wheel tosses up stuff, below where the cab meets the frame and gets heated by the exhaust manifold. I think the AC condenser drips in this area as well, exasperating the issue.

I would be taking a pointed hammer to every area of that frame. If its a clean low miler then a summer or winter project to replace the frame, they are not that expensive and believe it or not its not that big of a job.
If its tired unload for parts or repair but by all means declare the issue or you could be sued otherwise.

Take a hammer and start taping from that hole back and see how far that frame rust goes. Go through the entire frame. Here in Vermont alot of people are familiar with this issue. I believe every vehicle can have issues. Way to many frame openings from the manufacturing of the frames. Either for options that the vehicle does not even have or tie downs when transporting. What I have done with my 02 jeep and my 2010 mountaineer was to use 3M aluminum body tape and close off all the holes except for one in the front and one in the back for air circulation then cover the tape with undercoat to keep the tape on. Been on the jeep for 6 years with a solid frame. The mountaineer 1 1/2 years but not driven in winter.

Agree on all the above advice. How is the rest of the truck? My experience with Ford trucks is the body generally goes first, but everyone's mileage will vary there.

Not sure where you are located in PA. There is an Amish fellow in Oxford, Pa who has a diesel powered welder and a big sheet metal brake. He can do wonders with a frame like this, providing it is not too far gone. If you get repairs done, I suggest a heavy coat of Fluid Film yearly. PM me if you need info.

The frame rails on my 96 Cherokee were way worse than that, as well as having no floors left. Body was spotless. A local shop fabricated new frame rails, new floor pans and undercoated it for $1500. Took about a month.

If you just bought it, and it was from a dealer, take it right back and demand they buy it back.

from crawling underneath, that is the only spot that I could tell had rust. its right under the battery.

I the krown really took all the paint off the frame that they had on it. I have an appointment with a frame shop today at 1300...we'll see what they say...

wish me luck.

Originally Posted By: zues50
I have an appointment with a frame shop today at 1300...we'll see what they say...

wish me luck.

Feel free to get a couple opinions/estimates on the repair. Most estimates are free and you're more likely to get the best repair at a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back