How bad is my engine? Or need a follow up test to really know.

On another thread I am discussing my f350 sudden oil loss.
What I want to discuss here is how bad my engine is?? Or do I really need a second test where I keep the oil level full ??
Should I try going to a 10W 30 oil ? Would that help with wear ? And prevent failure ?

Attachments

• 20211029_194023.jpg
    20211029_194023.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 457
Try a less thin lower saps oil like at least a 10w-40 or an sn plus dual rated 15w-40 like Supertech diesel. I'd only use that in a prius.

Besides ford issued an update to switch these to a 5w-30 long ago.

Try Mobil 1 0w40 that door hinge lube isn't cutting it in that engine.
Not really funny. For me. I am using M1 oil spec exactly as ford recommended.
I dont have an extra 60 grand to replace my super duty. And rebuilding a v 10 triton engine and swapping it out is still about ten thousand dollars.

Not trying to be funny, they have gone back and forth with this xw20 business, the Mobil 1 0w40 works exceptionally well in these and the other Triton engines. It is a light 40 almost a heavier 30 and being a 0w insures excellent cold start protection and much better than the 10w30 you are considering.
You say you dont want to rebuild or replace it while your UOA shows the oil you are using is less than stellar and you may be on the road to doing just that following the specs and all.

BLUF: The oil you are using is not protecting your engine. Get a better, higher viscosity, and higher HTHS oil.

Your SAE 20 oil is too skinny. That is why your engine drinks it and your metal count is high.

No mystery. Do what the gentlemen say. Doesn't have to be Mobil 1. Castrol, Valvoline, whatever you prefer.

I will see what the next oil analysis shows. Since i was down 3.5 quarts during this 11 month oil operation period at the end.
So keeping the oil full might help the oil and wear numbers.

Also not operating the engine cold 4 months again as my thermostat got replaced.
Looking at my pcv system asap..

And just purchased a new air filter...have not seen the old one yet.

BLUF: The oil you are using is not protecting your engine. Get a better, higher viscosity, and higher HTHS oil.

Your SAE 20 oil is too skinny. That is why your engine drinks it and your metal count is high.

No mystery. Do what the gentlemen say. Doesn't have to be Mobil 1. Castrol, Valvoline, whatever you prefer.
20 years of owning this truck n engine. 40 oil changes. All with mobil 1 ... and only one issue with oil consumption.
So you sound like the 5 w 20 was not acceptable... why did the engine not use an ounce of oil in 20 years and 40 oil changes?

My 4.6 in my mercury grand marquis and my neighbors town cars. He has had ten of them.. all using 5 w 20 oil.. he typically sells his town cars at 300 k or a bit higher miles due to wisconsin rust. Never engine issues or oil consumption.
So there is more going on than just its bad oil. Or bad weight oil..
I managed e350 trucks for 40 years.. typically got 350 k miles and never had engine or oil issues. And 5 w 20 was what we have been using at least 20 years.

What kind of use has this truck had over it's 116K mile life?

Been my second vehicle the last ten years. The first ten it was my only car. Drive to work with occasional boat trailer pulling.. 1/2 highway and 1/2 city short distance.. i live 6 miles to work.

You asked if you should try a different (higher viscosity no less) oil, then complain that people said yes?
I'm not clear what you're asking here. Hope someone has an answer for you.
The 20 w oil is to skinny might be to technical for me.

I can sure understand that i might want to consider a heavier weight. But i have used the same 5 w 20 mobil 1 oil for 20 years with zero oil consumption.
So suddenly after 116 k miles my engine is trashed because of having too skinny oil ?
I am an engineer.. not an oil engineer, but none the less I deal with facts and technical stuff.
Trying to figure out lost oil that never occured before I have had some wild people make some blanket statements with zero data. I would prefer to learn more and understand what is failing if anything.
Between my neighbors cars and the fleet trucks I managed for over 40 years I have seen zero data or problems with 5 w 20 oil when changed in a normal service sechedule.
People think its fun to just blurt out some unfounded opinion. I would prefer hard data.

My engine has not been drinking oil until now. Same exact oil. So for 113 k miles I had zero oil consumption.. the last 3015 miles it consumed 3.5 quarts or so.
So my question is this. If this oil is just crazy thin and such.. why has the engine never used any until now ?? What has changed ?? That is what I am trying to determine.

And then ultimately what should I do to keep my engine working as best as possible if there is wear that suddenly occured.

You asked if you should try a different (higher viscosity no less) oil, then complain that people said yes?
I have not complained. I asked if my engine is bad? If so what parts? And what service life remains ?
I also asked if my one data point of a single oil test. Collected into a used dirty oil pan and poured into a oil jug that had contained new oil.. was enough to know anything ?? Or did I have to do more oil change intervals and additional oil testing to see if metal in my oil shows severe damage or not.. and i also have asked how many miles after a clean oil and filter change. Before an additional oil test yields good data ??

I cant change oil and filter and change oil and do a sample in 100 miles and expect accurate results. At least I dont think that the oil analysis can offer data that soon..
Is there a standard mileage for an oil analysis to give me more data sooner ??
I have taken great care of this truck and engine and planned on using it for another 50 to 60 k miles over ten to 15 years. So i am a bit scared that my engine is suddenly junk..

I assume I might need another oil test or two to see how things are going..

I asked if my engine is bad? If so what parts?

Pretty much everything is elevated for just 3000 mls. Iron, aluminum, copper....
No specific parts, just everything or several at least. No reason to panic though.
However I don't agree with BS on chromium. 3 ppm is way too low for the given
'accuracy' of this BS lab test to draw any conclusions.

And what service life remains ?

Noboby can tell you. I'd try one step thicker, but not going overboard. Just try a
Euro spec 5W-30 with a HTHS of ~3.5 mPas and preferably some proper approvals.
Personally I'd run a VW 504 00 approved oil. MB229.5 and BMW LL-04 would be
close. After 3000 mls have another BS test done and report in this thread. Results
might not be that much better due to winter season though.

My engine has not been drinking oil until now. Same exact oil. So for 113 k miles I had zero oil consumption.. the last 3015 miles it consumed 3.5 quarts or so.
So my question is this. If this oil is just crazy thin and such.. why has the engine never used any until now ?? What has changed ?? That is what I am trying to determine.

And then ultimately what should I do to keep my engine working as best as possible if there is wear that suddenly occured.
Yeah, sounds like something has caused the sudden oil consumption increase besides the oil being used.

Replace the PCV valve if it hasn't been recently. Pull all the spark plugs and look at them to see if any cylinders show excessive oil burning. Could be possible rings or valve guide seals issues.

Not trying to be funny, they have gone back and forth with this xw20 business, the Mobil 1 0w40 works exceptionally well in these and the other Triton engines. It is a light 40 almost a heavier 30 and being a 0w insures excellent cold start protection and much better than the 10w30 you are considering.
You say you dont want to rebuild or replace it while your UOA shows the oil you are using is less than stellar and you may be on the road to doing just that following the specs and all.
Great point, sometimes you have to think out of the box a little. It is clear the OPs oil could have done better. If he wants to stick with a 30 grade he could try ESP 0W30 or 5W30, but in all honesty seeing that report I'd be using Mobil 1 0W40 as you suggested. IMO after looking at that report anything 20 grade would be a mistake in that application, spec'd or not.
27.gif

Back