how bad are these tires? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have to run these,then only at low speeds and NEVER on the freeway.
I know how it is with low funds but maybe you could buy one good used tire each payday.
Don't go into winter with these.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Really?
Anyone in the tire biz can tell you that Michelin tires are very susceptible to sidewall cracking.

The dealer would never say this.

As another Minnesota driver, please replace these as soon as possible.

Even if it is a 2 now, 2 later kind of a deal. I'd never trust them for regular on the road use, period. Use them for an around the farm, backroad cabin car/truck, sure, but anything else, forget it.

Junkyard/salvage operations, craiglist, etc, are your friends here..

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Really?
Anyone in the tire biz can tell you that Michelin tires are very susceptible to sidewall cracking.

Mine did, and he sells them. Too many "cracking" complaints. Recommends Yokohama's now, almost zero problems, and he sells alot of them.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Really?

Mine did, and he sells them. Too many "cracking" complaints. Recommends Yokohama's now, almost zero problems, and he sells alot of them.

Which exact model is supposed to crack ??

Any make of tyre can craze up on the sidewall area after 6 years and should be binned after 10 years due to UV & Ozone related damage.
If you are sensible enough to buy major brand tyres make sure they are top of the range models. I used to think Pirrelli made some good tyres which had some very good braking distance figures, but they had some premature failures and handling issues due to thin sidewalls.

I use Coninental winter tyres and Dunlop Blue Response summer tyres on my Twingo town car and Volvo horse box towing and autobahn cruiser. The German Police use Michelins for good reasons, although if you use all season tyres as most owners in the South do, Goodyear Vectors are the best performer around.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Really?

Which exact model is supposed to crack ??
If it says "Michelin" on it, it's the model that's supposed to crack.

But you live in England, I doubt you'd have trouble.

I'd look at used tires. Around here I see used tires for $25-35. Without a doubt I'd replace the tire in the third pic at the very least.

The German police probably use Michelins for the same reason that government agencies everywhere use products: Lowest bid for the contract spec.
I've had excellent results from Michelin tires in the past but quality appears to have declined rapidly in recent years.
The best combination of price and value these days seems to come in Cooper and General brand tires. I've had at least a couple of sets of each and find both to be pretty good, especially for the money.
I did buy a set of Pirellis for the '12 Accord, but they were very well priced and were said by another member here to utterly transform the car, he having the same MY four cylinder Accord as we do. I'll mount them before we get into bad weather season.
Most tire dealers can sell you anything from the cheapest Chinese rim protector to the priciest Michelin. Many I've talked to steer their customers away from Michelins these days and premature cracking is their primary reason for this. Whether it's a hazard or merely cosmetic, no tire store wants to explain to its customers why their premium priced tires look as though they're falling apart after four or five years.

Those are bad. Is there no warranty on them at all from the manufacturer? Please don't drive on those, and for God's sake not on the highway. I really think you could find replacements affordably on the used market with some effort. I think minor cracking is an overplayed issue on the site, but those are BAD. They look like a familiar tire to me. What are they, and what size? I have a set of of the tire they look like to me that are worn but not dangerous like that. If they match up you can have them for the cost of shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back