How are your welds?

1638983073692.jpg

"A grinder and some paint, makes me the welder that I ain't..."

--Matt from Diesel Creek.

The real time to be using a grinder is before doing the weld. That is when it can add a lot to the quality that you end up with. After welding grinding is mostly for appearance.

I once welded replacement frame boxes that was part of under a cars back frames on a Chrysler car for a friend back in the 70's. He had the replacement sections that he had got from a junkyard and asked me if I could weld it on for him. They came with the back bumper still attached. I told him that if he removed the gas tank, and V cut with the grinder all the areas where the old frame met the replacement that I would be able to weld it by filling in those V joints. The electric welder was broken so I had to use the gas welder, and it was overhead welding. A few months later he told me that he had sold that car and it got slammed from behind and totaled, and every one of my welds held, and I did not overlap any of those joints with additional pieces of metal. Just butted sections together with no gaps and every contact V cut before welding.

Last edited:
“Should we butt weld this or weld it to your butt?”

Just a little neighborly humor here! Snag, do you want your butt weld Miged, Tiged, or sticked! Then we can give you the option of AC or DC, I'm not sure of your polarity, but I'm good with don't ask, don't tell...does not matter to me, keep it in the closet...

There are a few descriptions of welds, Bird s*** is one of them, and yes, grinding should be done before welding and on occasion, you may need to do some minor grinding with a sanding wheel for a perfect finish. But if you grind your welds down where you can't see your puddles, you suck!

P.S. I just heard on the boob tube that it's supposed to be cold and your supposed to get a lot more snow than me...Maybe 2 ft. for you! Maybe 1 1/12 for me. "Sucks to be you" J/K lol, Cheers bro, Santas slay might not make it thru 2 ft of snow!

Thats a young pup! My only dog is about 12 or so. I had to put my Pitbull mix down just about a year ago, he was about 11 or 12. nice looking pup, looks like "He"? has alot of energy!

lol, my home is 90 miles from I 90! There is no easy way to get here...Thats the joy of it. The rest of the world does not exist unless I go to CDA! And thats 90 miles! Missoula is 160 miles.

I'm terrible at welding. We have an arc welder at work and I have yet to figure it out. All I do is stick the rod and then it burns up.
Do you stick the rod because you can’t start the arc? Try striking the rod like a match. This way when the arc starts the rod is in motion.

If you were joking then never mind… 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02

I learned to weld when I was a millwright in the 70's in heavy industry. At that time all of the crafts were separate. You had welders, pipefitters, oilers, electricians, millwrights, etc.
The old welder that taught me my welding ability (will not exactly call them skills) would always do it on swing or graveyard shift.
He was a total alcoholic, his thermos was always filled with vodka. He was the best welder in the department though.
The funny thing about this old guy was that his hands shook all the time until he flipped his helmet down to start his weld.
Once his hood was down, his hands went rock steady but his head would start shaking side to side. He would raise his helmet and his hands would start shaking.
I learned a lot about welding from this old guy.
In the early 80's they combined the crafts into one job description with the exception of the electricians. I'm glad I had a chance to learn from that old welder!

I'm terrible at welding. We have an arc welder at work and I have yet to figure it out. All I do is stick the rod and then it burns up.
Do you stick the rod because you can’t start the arc? Try striking the rod like a match. This way when the arc starts the rod is in motion.

If you were joking then never mind… 🤷‍♂️

Just my $0.02
Tried that as well as everything else. I suck at it. I kinda have the wire feed thing figured out as long as nobody moves the speed and voltage knobs.

Tried that as well as everything else. I suck at it. I kinda have the wire feed thing figured out as long as nobody moves the speed and voltage knobs.
Over the years I have figured out that welding is quite the skill. I am not to good.

Back