How are the SanDisk SSDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, thinking of upgrading the HDD in my Acer netbook to an SSD. How do the SanDisk SSDs compare to say the Samsung or the Intel? Looking to not spend a lot of money if possible, so I like that the SanDisk is cheaper than the Samsung or the Intel.

Anyway, anyone have a SanDisk SSD or heard about them want to comment on their reliability? Or should I just spend the extra money and get the Intel?

Thanks!

The egg has Samsung EVO 256GB for $139.99 right now. Not sure what your budget is, but I have one and it works well.

The Intels are good. I have a 520 Cherryville in my i5.

TBH, I would probably go Samsung next time. I have been using 840 Evos in everything under the sun. They are great.

I'd go with a 120GB Samsung. Should be about $90 on Amazon and they usually are Prime.

SanDisk SSDs are very strong performers. I recently got the Extreme II for my desktop. I would rate them near the top of the pack; they're consistently in the top 5 of most big tests when it comes to performance, and the warranties are some of the best too.

That being said, I have also used Kingston and Samsung SSDs and had no complaints.

Being a college student, my budget is pretty low right now.
frown.gif

Anyway, I don't need more than about 120GBs as I'm not using this netbook for storage really.. in fact, an 80GB would be plenty, but they seem rare and often cost about as much as a 120GB SSD.

I think if I were to step up the price I would get the Intel over the Samsung. The Intel is actually cheaper than the Samsung on amazon.

Check older Samsung SSD's if you want reliability on a budget. I've used and installed 830 and 840 Pro all around and they work great
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
SanDisk SSDs are very strong performers. I recently got the Extreme II for my desktop. I would rate them near the top of the pack; they're consistently in the top 5 of most big tests when it comes to performance, and the warranties are some of the best too.

I was looking at getting the Ultra Plus.. any idea how that one is? I have had great success with SanDisk in the past, just never had their SSDs.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: dparm

I was looking at getting the Ultra Plus.. any idea how that one is? I have had great success with SanDisk in the past, just never had their SSDs.

The Extreme is getting the "A+" memory and the Ultra is getting the "B" memory. The Ultra will be slower and less reliable, in theory, though whether or not you'll notice that is hard to say.

If you are backing stuff up, and it's not mission-critical work, you'll probably be fine with the Ultra series. Many credit cards give you the free double-warranty anyway. I went for the Extreme because I don't mind paying more for the extra performance, and because I use my personal computer A LOT.

Not sure what the price difference is between the Ultra and Samsung 840s, but for that mid-range SSD segment, the Samsungs are the benchmark. The Ultra is rather unremarkable in that highly-competitive field.

It would be going in my netbook that I don't really keep anything important on anyway. Just don't want it to die right away.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
It would be going in my netbook that I don't really keep anything important on anyway. Just don't want it to die right away.
smile.gif

I'd just get whichever one is on sale. You likely won't notice much of a difference since most of your content is actually running from the web.

It would be foolish to spend big money on an SSD that is underutilized and outlasts the computer by several years.

Right, if I was putting it in my everyday computer I would probably get the Intel.. but for the netbook the SanDisk should be plenty.

Thanks to all!

I have a SanDisk 120GB Ultra Plus SSD in my desktop at home. It's been in there since December of last year. Compared to the WD Caviar Blue (7,200 RPM) HDD I had in there is was a real kick in the pants, similar to adding more memory.

It has been trouble free, but I would expect nothing less.

Originally Posted By: Rand
there is a pny optima 256GB on Tigerdirect for 80$ right now.

Great price. That is what I spent for a 120GB version of PNY that makes my 6 year old Thinkpad T500 fly.

I have a Sandisk 120gb SSD (mSATA) in my Samsung Series 9 (2012). Performs very well. Linuxmint 16 boots in less than 8 seconds, windows 7 in 9 seconds flat.

I have a Sandisk Extreme in my main desktop PC and it's been in there for the last 2 years or so. It is a great drive and I would buy one again. I bought it based off reviews and a good sale price at the time. No regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back