How are liquors sold in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are actually some decent Canadian craft beers now. Not quite at the level of Michigan or Oregon, but getting there.

Originally Posted by pitzel
The end result is that a 66oz bottle of liquor that can be bought at a liquor retailer in the US for $13-$14 (including nominal state and federal taxes), typically is $40-$45, sometimes even more in Canada.

So for Americans, prescription drugs are much cheaper in Canada, and for Canadians, alcohol is much cheaper in the U.S. Maybe there should be a website where a Canadian can swap his months supply of Crestor for an Americans bottle of Jack?

Don't forget cheap gas. We used to joke that if you filled up in the States, they gave you a free 6 pack.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by marine65
Here in Colorado we have drive thru liquor stores
Does Canada have the same?

There are drive-through beer stores.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by marine65
Here in Colorado we have drive thru liquor stores
Does Canada have the same?

There are drive-through beer stores.

"Drive-through" stores are an oddity. In Ohio, they're very common but apparently not so common in other areas. Depending on the liquor license that the location has (liquor licenses are specific to the address), they can sell beer and/or wine and/or low-proof liquors. In some cases, they can't sell these on Sundays though !! Oh, and they're not just liquor stores, you can buy soda, snacks, cigarettes, etc, etc. Most of these places have a walk-in store attached, again, selling typical carry-out store stuff.

In NB, the government monopoly is slowly giving way, some grocery stores now carry beer and wine, beyond that you have to go to the NBLC or brew your own. My wife is from Quebec, my brother-in-law has a funny saying that rings true there. "The important necessities of life, Alcohol and Tobacco are cheap, the unimportant stuff like food and gas are expensive."

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I spent most of my money drinking and chasing women. The rest, I wasted.
laugh.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Mailman1995
Originally Posted by CT8
I will follow this post.
I will email this post.

So how did you come up with the "Mailman1995" user name?

AFAIK, I know the provinces of Canada control alcohol distribution and you have to buy booze at liquor store, it applies both to beer/wine and liquor. My experiences are confined to British Columbia where I bring back a few pints of local beer back to California, while BC Liquor Stores is the local monopoly there are local bottle shops licensed by the province.

I bought back a pint of some non-descript but surprisingly good Canadian whisky from Kitsilano Liquors a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back