How are Goodyear Eagle LS? Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or how bad are they?

Need some decent safe summer tires for the Volvo 850 - mom car - in 205-55x16. We have mounted winters aleady.

On an extremely tight budget. (I'll not be able to eat for awhile to buy tires) But I don't want to buy garbage tire for the lowest price tag.

There is a rebate on these:

Eagle LS

Please any other suggestions, I really value your input fellows/folks!

On first look, need more input from you. Lets see a Volvo 205-55-16. So I take it you need an H rated tire. I have had 195 65-15 GY L-H's for app 54,000 miles. I project it to go 115-135k. Of the three tires OEM for VW Jetta, (TDI) they are polled to be last among 3 tires. For me, they are better than they seem to be rated.

In that size, the world is almost literally your oyster (50 tires that I would consider). It seems that all manufacturers make all varieties in that size!!! If price in that size is one main concern, you still have a plethora of choices. Just on price point alone, I would select among 10 contenders.

So overall, some that stand out (if it was for me and also in your price range)

Avon Tech M550
Avon Tech M550 A/S
Yokohama Avid V4S
Yokohama AVS ES 100
BFG Traction T/A H
Bridgestone Potenza G009

For a mom car if I had to pick a top say 5
GY Triple Treads (
BFG Traction T/A- H
Bridgestone G009
Michelin HydroEdge
Bridgestone Turanza LS-H
Bridgestone Potenza RE950

[ May 29, 2005, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

Pablo:

Have you gone to Tire Rack's website and compared the Goodyears to some other comparable tires?

We have some Kumho Ecsta HP4 716s on a 940 turbo that seem to perform fairly well. Tire Rack has them rated well above the Goodyear LS in terms of handling, wet and dry traction, etc., and they're several dollars cheaper in your size.

I have some Dunlop SP A2 Sports on my 740 turbo, and while they handle really well, especially in the wet, they haven't worn well, and I had a catastrophic belt failure on one of them when it was less than 2 years old. I can't recommend them.

I also have some Continental CH95s on a 240 N/A. These aren't really a "sporting" tire, although they have an "H" speed rating, and they still ride well and have plenty of tread left after 4 years and 30K in the Florida heat. Don't know that I'd put them on a turbo, however.

I've heard good things about the Yokohoma Avid H4s from a fellow Brickboarder; wouldn't hesitate to go with a set of those.

Mike W.
Largo, FL

I have yokohama tires on my truck, they were worlds better than the goodyear wranglers on there, and I got them for an excellent price on tirerack.com. Based on my truck tire experience I'd recommend you look at their car tires as well. Tirerack.com has user ratings for all the tires out there, so you can stack up performance versues price.

Thanks Mike - the Kumho's look interesting but that model doesn't seem to come in 205-55-16....at least at discount tire. I'll see.

We have the Conti's on there now - weird the tread wear just sucked. We barely got 30K - also the sidewalls are really weak in the pentration department - had a poke through at highway speed by a license plate frame. Got a new tire from Discount tire....and that one is almost as worn as the other 3.

I'll check out other Kumho's and the Yokohama's as well.

[ May 30, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

The Eagle LS tires I used to have on my wife's GTP rode and handled pretty good, but they were NOISY!!! It was just unreal how loud they were.

I currantly have Eagle LS tires on my 04 Altima,(summers only) and love them. I keep the stock Continentals for the winter, and I love them as well, although they get slammed on the Tire Rack reviews...Also I have driven many rental cars recently that have Eagle LS's in verious sizes and they seem to be OK as well. I have read the reviews on the Tire Rack and the Eagle LS's don't seem to be liked all that much either. I guess it all depends on your driving style/habits.

Pablo Quote: I am now leaning toward Yokohama AVID T4.

I had them on my Regal GS and I thought for the money, they were an excellent tire. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

The Goodyear LS was original equipment on the Lexus LS400 a while back, in the early/mid 90's. Nissan also put it on the Altima around the same time.

The tread pattern doesn't appear to have changed at all since then - I wonder if the tire's construction ahs changed?

If not, it's an old tire. I'd look for a newer one. Sounds like you already have...

My only gripe now is - the Yokohama's still have not arrived at Discount Tire!!! Grrrr,,,,,,,,,,,,,
mad.gif
cool.gif

Pablo,

Wise choice on skipping the GY eagle LS.

The Avid T4's have been around some time and are a decent tire at fair price.

My default pics for the average joe are:

MN Harmony/Sears Agility
MN Weatherwise Sport (Sears)
MN Hydroedge

GY Assurance ComfortTread
GY Assurance TripleTread
GY Regatta2/Viva Touring (Walmart)/WeatherHandler LS (Sears)

Sumitomo HTR T4
Yokohama Avid T4

And.....Kumho 716 if you a really strapped $$$ not bad for the money.

Eagle LS2 came OE on our '04 Quest. They cannot stop them from shaking. Balance, force balance, etc...

IMHO, most GY tires are over-priced, over-marketed 2nd rate products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back