How are GC 0W-30 and BC 5W-40 different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is made in Germany & the other is made in Belgium
smile.gif
......sorry, I had to....
tongue.gif

On a serious note, I seem to remember reading a lot about BC being a hydrocracked Group III. Other than that, I don't have a clue what the difference is.
dunno.gif

I'm guessing GC is considered a true full synthetic???

[ March 15, 2005, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

Alex D,

I believe that GC is full synthetic the way most on this board define that term whereas BC is synthetic in the sense that it is "structurally manipulated." GC is the technologically superior oil between the two...and most importantly (you do know what is coming don't you) GC is made by Elves whereas BC is made by humans.

I never thought that a wide range oil like a 5W-40 could be made from GIII stocks.
I also always thought that Castrols 5W-50 and others, except the 5W-30 and 10W-30, are true synthetics??
dunno.gif
confused.gif
dunno.gif

Alex,

I don't believe a lot of people on this board (me included) give sufficient credit to the chemical/compositional magic which can be worked on a Group III-based oil. I think we vastly underestimate some of them.

I have done a lot of searching and kind found no correlation to the specs listed for Syntec 5w-40 and those of any 5w-40 sold in any other country as a Castrol oil. I might just give it a shot out of curisosity. I am less than happy with the M1 0w-40.

quote:

have done a lot of searching and kind found no correlation to the specs listed for Syntec 5w-40 and those of any 5w-40 sold in any other country as a Castrol oil. I might just give it a shot out of curisosity. I am less than happy with the M1 0w-40.

What is the issue with Mobil 1 0w40? I use it in my 1995 BMW 525i with no apparent problems. However, I am always looking for better oil! TIA

quote:

Originally posted by Russell:

quote:

have done a lot of searching and kind found no correlation to the specs listed for Syntec 5w-40 and those of any 5w-40 sold in any other country as a Castrol oil. I might just give it a shot out of curisosity. I am less than happy with the M1 0w-40.

What is the issue with Mobil 1 0w40? I use it in my 1995 BMW 525i with no apparent problems. However, I am always looking for better oil! TIA

There is no problem with M1 0w40. It is the wrong grade of oil for my car, however, because I think I need to run an oil with a higher HTHS than the factory 5w-20 on track, I use it. I burn almost a qt in 3000 miles and a 200 mile track event. This is VERY high for a Ford Zetec which is reknowned for lack of oil consumption. I have had zero consumption when I used M1 0w-20 or 5w-30 under the same conditions. I am switching oils mostly in the hope that my relentless beating of the engine has not injured it and I am taking a look at the BC 5w-40. An oil change is much simpler than a re-ring and new bearings!

I am sure that if my car did not spend extended time above 5000 rpm and experience almost 300° oil temps, I would not be running out of grade nor pointing to any problems with M1 0w-40. My experience is atypical and should not be used as a guide for people who do not run their cars on track. Sorry if I caused any grief.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Alex,

I don't believe a lot of people on this board (me included) give sufficient credit to the chemical/compositional magic which can be worked on a Group III-based oil. I think we vastly underestimate some of them.

Okay ... fair enough ... however for a GIII oil, they are over-priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back