How are brakes bedded in at the factory?

I worked at truck plant specifically for about 15 years. The vehicle goes on a rolls machine, gets driven up to 70mph to wake up all the electronics. Then the driver hits the brakes to test out the ABS basically.

Nope it mentions avoid heavy braking for the first 1000 miles except in the case of emergency. It is a big topic over on the Ascent forum I think it is excessive as I never had such issues with all my previous cars.

I believe Raybestos had information on their website regarding brake pulsation and they attribute it almost 100% to improper torquing of the wheels.
I would like to understand how uneven lug nut torque or lug nut overtightening leads to brake pulsation. It's hard for me to visualize.

I installed some power stop drilled and slotted rotors on the front of my 98 F150, with their pads. I followed their recommended break-in procedure but it was still another couple hundred miles of driving before they really came in.

Based off of what ? I did 4 PDIs today and no where on the process does it say to bed on brakes or give a specific braking process on the test drive
AFAIK, the OEs want their cars test driven during PDI, the trip to the gas station and back is usually how it’s done.

Many cars come with organic(“resin” in Japan) brake pads that work on cohesive friction so there really isn’t a need for a break-in, which is more of a bed-in. But, establishing the transfer layer is important - the owners manuals state no panic stops for up to 50-100 miles AFAIK.

Aftermarket brake pads claim “post-cured” or “scorched” or have a break-in coating(EBC, Centric, Bendix/WearEver/ImportDirect and Duralast Elite) on the pads. I still do 10 stops from 30mph in any case.

For the record I am “pro” bed in brakes

Just as far as PDIs go never seen one with that specified. Could be a dangerous suggestion by the manufacturer to ask that especially in some very heavy traffic areas

I remember reading in the owners manual of some 70's car saying to take it easy on braking except in an emergency, for the first 300 miles of the car's life, and whenever the brakes are replaced.
The new ones spell that out too - under new vehicle break-in procedure

or is that the Brake-in proceedure :)

Couldn't the rotors just be cleaned in some manner while exchanging the pads? What "old stuff" is on the rotor? Why would bedding in the new brakes do anything more than just driving normally?
Carroll Smith, for years a Consulting Engineer for StopTech (now a part of Centric Parts), knew more about all of the arcane aspects of automotive braking systems and their components than any other human who ever has lived. He was the author of this article:
https://www.centricparts.com/media/..._Whitepaper_B1-Warped-Brake-Disc-8-2018_1.pdf

The same page of "Technical Bulletins" contains a specific suggested procedure for bedding in new rotors and pads.
https://www.centricparts.com/technical-bulletins
When a system has both new rotors and pads, there are two different objectives for bedding-in a performance brake system: heating up the brake rotors and pads in a prescribed manner, so as to transfer pad material evenly onto the rotors; and maturing the pad material, so that resins which are used to bind and form it are ‘cooked' out of the pad. The first objective is achieved by performing a series of stops, so that the brake rotor and pad material are heated steadily to a temperature that promotes the transfer of pad material onto the brake rotor friction surface. There is one pitfall in this process, however, which must be avoided. The rotor and, therefore, the vehicle should not be brought to a complete stop, with the brakes still applied, as this risks the non-uniform transfer of pad material onto the friction surface. The second objective of the bedding-in process is achieved by performing another set of stops, in order to mature the pad itself. This ensures that resins which are used to bind and form the pad material are ‘cooked' out of the pad, at the point where the pad meets the rotor's friction surface. The bed-in process is not complete until both sets of stops have been performed.

Last edited:
AFAIK, the OEs want their cars test driven during PDI, the trip to the gas station and back is usually how it’s done.

Many cars come with organic(“resin” in Japan) brake pads that work on cohesive friction so there really isn’t a need for a break-in, which is more of a bed-in. But, establishing the transfer layer is important - the owners manuals state no panic stops for up to 50-100 miles AFAIK.

Aftermarket brake pads claim “post-cured” or “scorched” or have a break-in coating(EBC, Centric, Bendix/WearEver/ImportDirect and Duralast Elite) on the pads. I still do 10 stops from 30mph in any case.
My last truck had a pull to the right when I drove it off the lot. The tech never drove the truck, I think he checked it to make sure it was red and then drug his muddy boots around the interior and scratched up a bunch of stuff and that was about it. The salesman said he didnt notice it when he drove it 1/4 mile to put gas in it.
I just took it to a competent repair facility (not the dealer) and paid to have the alignment checked and the right front caster adjusted since it was out of spec. It was easier than allowing the monkeys at the dealer to mess it all up 2 or 3 times.

i always bed in brakes, new rotors, old rotors, if I touch the brakes i test them. I've seen rotors with uneven friction residue on them cause vibration, that went away with a bed in run. I've also seen people with blue rotors that are physically warped, usually right after a trip to the mountains. people who live in the flat areas don't realize that brakes aren't immortal and you can smoke em pretty good by riding them down a mountain.

When I was a tech and on my own cars now, I always took any brake job for a rest drive. I always get up to 50 or so, and firmly, but not panic stop down to 5 or so, then another 2 or 3 times.

Worst thing you can do with new brakes is a hard stop and just sit there. Then the hot pads just keep the heat in one spot on the rotor. The key is to keep rolling. Then I didn't apply the brakes at all for the return trip and only very gently to come to a stop back at the shop.

It is my very firm belief that most pulsation comes from rotor runout. Where the rotor wobbles back and forth due to hub/rotor lateral runout. Most of the time here in the rust belt it is not properly cleaning the back of the rotor and/or hub.

Wanted a shop to turn a set of rotors for my wife's car. They refused to do it, and said I would be wasting my money as they would be warped in 10k miles. I had the rotors in my hand when I walked in. I told them that I was a master mechanic and they were not doing proper brake jobs if they had that many boomerang vehicles.

I went 3 towns away where I used to work and turned my own rotors on the dusty brake machine. 40k later still perfect. Here in rural country I generally get 50k or more out of a set or brakes. And rotors go 2 brake jobs for me at least, I measure thickness and have no problem turning them if they are within spec.

Back