How about allowing signature images?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not allow small image files as signatures? I tried adding one and it did show fine in the preview, but it won't show under an actual post.

Also, why not allow html? I can't stand UBB code, but even an internet chimp like me can write html code.

donut.gif

At least I didn't post a bunch of pictures of my rocks.

PS: You believe bats got me, doctor?

Quote:

Because some chimps would post their latest flying mammal bite pictures in their sigs.

Actually, it's because once the IMG tag is turned on in the signature there is no provision in the admin settings to limit the size of the pic linked. We'd wind up with somebody putting a 600 x 600 size image in their signature which would do nothing but take up needless real estate and cause the thread to load slowly.

IMHO, images in signature lines are bad. They muddy up the board, and it seems that everyone likes to use animated gifs in sig lines. Makes for a board that will give us a seizure over time.

At least you can turn them off on this board. I've been on forums where people have listed every mod they have done on every car they have ever come in contact with. That makes it really tough to sift through...

Just my 2 cents, I can always turn off the signatures if it really bothers me.

I looked at the FAQ about signature images and although it recommends a small picuter no real limit seems to be imposed. SO as G-Man said, it would be open to huge file uploads everytime you read a thread if there were lots of signaute pictures that were failry large.

Garfield_small.jpg

A caption contest?

"I would have preferred shome deshent shweatpantsh, but I put on thoshe shexy diapersh with bandoliersh and Cher'sh bootsh jusht for you, lasshie."

Hey, that shooting iron looks like a Webley!

Last edited:
Quote:

"Pennthoil ith faaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous!!"

Connery doesn't have a lisp! Although, looking at this image one might think he does. Ah, 'Zardoz.' What train wreck of a John Boorman movie.

Last edited:
Please don't allow pictures. Probably the worst thing a board can allow. It takes 10 times as long to load and on some forums I can't read at work because of nudity in peoples singatures or avatars.

Many boards do have size limits for sig pics, but they're always manually enforced. I'd imagine that would become a headache for the admins here.

Personally, I don't feel strongly either way, but I'd prefer to keep them limited to text only. Pages load much faster that way.

If I were to add my sig pic anyway, would this be verboten?
wink.gif

--------------------
donut.gif

Last edited:
I agree - don't allow it. On other forums you have to look at the same stupid picture, over and over, ad nauseum, when all you want to do is get some information. It's like a Head-On commercial every time you log on!!

Personally, I think that the signatures are getting kind of old... including mine.

What Id like to see is a nice space where we could list our vehicles (I list 9, so I need a lot of space), but keep the font size very small, so folks have to make an effort to see it, rather than have it taking up 3+ lines of space on each post.

Listing on the sidebar, like they do at saabcentral (IIRC) is nice.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back