How about a set of these Michelins soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

-

-

http://www.michelinman.com/difference/releases/pressrelease01102005a.html

Ive been kinda following these tires since I first learned of them maybe two months ago. I think its kinda revolutionary. I dont understand though how they keep the tire on the rim and then keep it from slipping around. As well, though probably unprobable, I would be concerned with the fins catching a rock or something like that and slinging it around in the wheel well or up against the paint.

Another thing I would be curious about is what happens if you were to park in a nice puddle of water and that sucker froze. Yeah, not likely I guess, but just a thought.

From what articles I have read its supposed to give the same performance and ride comfort as a traditional tire. Though to me it would seem weak on hanling in turns, but thats just me. I would also hate to see the result of those fins collapsing from wear and such, thats a pretty big drop if a lot of them were to give out.

Those tires(if that's what they're called) are extremely ugly.
Can't see too many people liking them.
I'm sure they're safe but they're ugly and look unsafe.

No fan of Michelin, my first radials were Pirellis. Like most new ideas, I am willing to look at them. How much do they weigh? Could they have a big effect on unsprung weight? I would thing suspension systems would have to be tweaked to take full advantage.

If they are any good, people will get used to the look.

You wouldn't have to worry about tire pressure anymore. Punctures either. Unsprung weight would probably be much lower, resulting in better handling, all other things being equal.

I am always open to new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back