How about a Quiz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's this widget do and to what home-made modification of my Audi engine (2.8 V6 12 valve, n/a) does it belong? I may post a few more pictures, should further hints be needed.

Hint One: this is a very smooth, cast resin piece.

Audi and VW owners may not participate!*

-

*j/k

It must be the piece that was missing on my VW that wouldn't allow it to start on cold mornings. I could run the battery down without the car starting, however, I could push it 6 feet and it would start right up. I just wish I would have had one of those things and would have known where to put it.

Jim, my Audi doesn't have a traditional PC valve.
97tbird, my thermostat isn't drilled!

Alright, you want another clue? The widget has to do with this part, which I also modified:

-

Yes, it's a MAF housing. Ported? Well, not really. I removed the sensor shroud, the center vane, and I opened up the MAF housing a little. I also removed the MAF screen.

In this picture, belonging to a friend, you can see to the left a properly bored-out and ported MAF housing, to the right you see the same type MAF still with the sensor shroud and unported, but without MAF screen:
http://audi12v.home.comcast.net/pix/mafcompare2.jpg

Here is another clue:

-

Getting warmer! I glued the little dome to the top of the MAF sensor housing to improve airflow. It may well be as effective as waxing the car to reduce drag.
tongue.gif

Sorry, don't have a picture with the dome attached, but you can easily imagine the sensor housing wearing a little "hat" in this picture:

-

This picture is taken from the airbox side. You are actually looking at the inside of the airbox lid. You see the velocity stack that was added. The addition of the velocity stack allows removal of the MAF screen, which is a big restriction to airflow. Removing the MAF sensor vane/shroud is an even bigger restriction. Others have gone much farther in modifying their MAF housings. Some of them have to adjust the sensor opening size in order to avoid lean codes.

Because my throttle body has not been ported, boring out and porting the MAF housing beyond what I have done appears to make no sense. The primary and secondary throttle body inlets are now the bottlenecks. While porting the throttle body would increase high-end power, I would be losing low-end torque. Given the amount of city driving I do, I don't want to sacrifice low-end power.

But back to the quiz, the little dome only adds a nice touch to the MAF mod, no more, no less.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back