Hot WX Oil ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
A summer (HOT WX) oil question.

I have a 1991 Honda Accord with 130 K miles on it.
Palmdale/Lancaster CA area gets up to 105 to 110 in the summer and I drive ~ 100 miles a day to and from work. I change oil abut every 3 K miles running Dino (Penz usually). By the way, traffic moves pretty fast out here(75+), and I do keep up
wink.gif

Getting ready to Auto-RX the engine, had a conversation with Frank from Auto RX today and he's seems to be a great guy.

So to my question. After I get done with the clean up job using Auto RX, what sort of oil would the board recommend. I've been looking at the US version of Walmart Synth, probably a 10 W 30 or higher and going to a 5 K change cycle.

Comments?

I grew up in Bakersfield, so I know a little bit about the climate you are in. These are my favorites:
Dino...Chevron Supreme 10w-30
Synthetic...Mobil 1 10w-30
Both are readily available and can be had at a reasonable price.

It is a Honda with 130K miles and I am assuming it runs fine. Continue your regular oil changes with the dino oil like you have and enjoy another 130K miles.

"It is a Honda with 130K miles and I am assuming it runs fine"

Well...it actually uses/looses some oil, maybe 1 Qt over 2 to 3 K miles. I think it's a rear seal, hence the Auto RX experiment. Also my driving style is a bit hard, 80+ in Hot WX
worshippy.gif

I'll report over time on how things go.

The new dino Pennzoils seem to be awesome. These guys have made a major turnaround and the 15W40 LL result just posted confirmed it IMO. I use it with Auto-Rx currently in my Outback for a 2nd clean.

Steve,

Spent 4.5 years as an officer stationed at the Air Force Rocket Propulsion Lab at Edwards AFB, back in the mid 1980's ....

There is a very successful Amsoil dealer in Lancaster, named Gene Young - he use to live on Fern, just north of Avenue "K", between 10th west and Sierra Hwy.

Look him up in the Yellow Pages and try the Amsoil 10w-30 or 10w-40 in this high mileage motor. I ran the 10w-30 synthetic in my 1985 Jetta year round out there and it worked very well. No oil consumption at all with 12,000 mile change intervals ....

TooSlick

Either Amsoil as TooSlick said or Mobil 1 10W-30. Since you are using some oil, You probably need a slightly heavier weight. I would maybe lean to a 40 wt. A solution would be 0W-40 Mobil 1, Delvac 1 (5W-40) or some Mobil 1 15W-50 (25%) mixed in with the 10W-30. You should be able to go 7.5 K miles to 12 K miles on an oil change with either Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

I would stay away from the ST Synthetic. But if you go this route-do a change at say 6K and an oil sample. We would love to see one.
smile.gif

If you are not going to Mobil 1 or Amsoil due to the high usage- I would consider switching to the 10W-40 Chevron Supreme, GTX, or Pennzoil

welcome.gif

[ June 05, 2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back