hot water tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're sold in Lowes. They're cheap. They work for a while. There isn't much to go wrong with a tank-type electric water heater other than leakage.

Like most appliances I think they all come from one or two big factories and the primary difference between "brands" is which sticker got stuck on.

Here it goes... 9 years ago i went to my plumbing distributor to get a new hot water heater but his price was about 50% higher for the same tank i priced at a big box store it was the same looking hot water heater down to the same model number the only thing was that one of them had an r after the model number. I got it from the big box store and it lasted only 4 years but i got another one for free this one i hope will last a little longer but i have a 10 year warranty on it anyway next time i will go to my plumbing distributor. I think it is a commercial whirlpool but i will check tonight.
Mine is gas

I installed one of this brand about a dozen years ago.
It started dying last fall and finally died in October of this year.
I replaced with a Rheem.
Will the Rheem last any longer?
Who knows?

The key is to clean the elements every year..maybe more maybe less depending. You will find that either vinegar OR baking soda will clean them. I must use vinegar bc the deposits are calcium. Use scotch-brite.

Also back flush through the drain valve and the tank will last forever.

I have used every brand known to man..the key is what I mentioned. They are all the same..IMHO

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
The key is to clean the elements every year..maybe more maybe less depending. You will find that either vinegar OR baking soda will clean them. I must use vinegar bc the deposits are calcium. Use scotch-brite.

I have used every brand known to man..the key is what I mentioned. They are all the same..IMHO

I have a hybrid rheem. its ok had to call and have the board replaced on it for being wacky with the compressor cycling

The new hybrids are much better. I'd prefer gas but the 1000$ for a power vent really kills the natural gas $$ savings (vs hybrid or reg electric)

That being said if this one blows I'll most likely replace with a natural gas tank just because natural gas is extremely cheap @2-3$/mcf while my electric is not so cheap at 16c/kwh

I have it on energy saver takes about 2x as long as "hybrid mode" that uses 1 element with the compressor.. but it easily recycles within an hour which is plenty.

Also energy saver uses about half the energy of the hybrid mode.

Also provides free dehumidifier and A/C in summer.

My previous gas water heater was working good when I sold the house last year, it was 15-16 years old and never had any maintenance such as cleaning any element nor back flush.

It's possible that the city water is very good without much contamination, such that no cleaning/maintenance was needed.

PS That 40 gallon water heater was a Sears demo unit, I paid something around $300-400 installed and hauled away the old one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
There isn't much to go wrong with a tank-type electric water heater other than leakage.

Except the upper heating element. And the lower heating element. And the thermostat. And the anode rod.....

The Whirpool water heater is manufactured by American Water Heater Company.
I work in the business, and in my experience, they are all similar. Seldom do the basic electric heaters now last more than 10 years. I believe that the manufacturers have cheapened up the units to meet a price point. All of the brands have pretty thin metal in the tanks. I tell my customers that if their water heater is 10 years old, they should think about replacing it, especially if it is in a finished basement.
The 30 year old heaters were definately made to a better standard.

Originally Posted By: walterjay

I work in the business, and in my experience, they are all similar. Seldom do the basic electric heaters now last more than 10 years.

There are some electric water heaters that have a lifetime warranty. I've seen a GE model with a lifetime warranty and I know they put fiberglass tanks in them. Got any experience with it?

Are there any risks associated with flushing an 8 year old tank?

Or should I just leave it alone at this point. I thought water heaters were "maintenance free" until I started reading this thread.

Thanks in advance.

BTW...Hope I'm not hijacking here.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Or should I just leave it alone at this point. I thought water heaters were "maintenance free" until I started reading this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Most come with a small spigot for this. The problem, is that the cheap plastic ones may not seat when finished, leaving you with a perfectly good, perfectly leaky water heater.

I cooled mine down and flushed it earlier this year and got a good amount of sediment out, even though the it came out completely clear. I had a cap ready to install, just in case it leaked. It didn't and hasn't leaked since.

Yes they make a lifetime tank warranty on fiberglass tank electric water heaters. They are manufactured by Rheem which also sells them to big box stores with the GE name plate. I have one such Rheem installed in my house.
They are expensive...but cheaper in the long run. I have seen one or two leak over the years, but they are warranted and they do stand behind them.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Thanks in advance.

Most come with a small spigot for this. The problem, is that the cheap plastic ones may not seat when finished, leaving you with a perfectly good, perfectly leaky water heater.

I cooled mine down and flushed it earlier this year and got a good amount of sediment out, even though the it came out completely clear. I had a cap ready to install, just in case it leaked. It didn't and hasn't leaked since.

Makes sense; Thank you for the advice. How old was yours when you did it?

Also be sure to check/replace the anode rod on a regular basis. How often all depends on your water.

Originally Posted By: walterjay
The Whirpool water heater is manufactured by American Water Heater Company...

Maybe the electric water heaters are different, but the last two natural gas Whirlpool heaters I've purchased in the last 10yrs were made by US Craftmaster of Johnson City TN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back