Hot oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at my computer for my Dodge Ram Hemi and it stated that the oil temp was at 203-04 degrees (midday driving, 83 degrees outside temp) , my question, is that normal operating temperature for my truck or any car?

That low, huh? Leave the display up and read it from a cold start. See how long it takes to get there.

Originally Posted By: renos09ram
Just curious, when should you start to worry?

If it's staying under 230F the vast majority of the time on conventional oil, no problem.

Back in the olden days, temp recommendations were usually something like this....

190-220F or 230F OK for long oil life.
250-255F Marginal, do more frequent changes
270F OK for a track day, You have injured your oil and it should be changed.

Synthetics generally survive high temperatures better but they still thin out at high temps and the temps aren't good for the rest of the engine.

I have the SLT Ram with toe hitch, this add's an additional engine oil cooler and transmission cooler to the truck. When I had my Ford F 150 it came with a standard trans cooler and the temp where always in the 197 mark, when I added the larger trans cooler the temp were down in the mid 160. I will see how long it takes my truck to get there from cold to hot.

I was looking at my computer for my Dodge Ram Hemi and it stated that the oil temp was at 203-04 degrees (midday driving, 83 degrees outside temp) , my question, is that normal operating temperature for my truck or any car?

This I presume is the on board computer display in your truck where you can punch in oil temperature?
It's neat that you can even do that.

Somewhat off topic, but I'm wondering how many modern cars/trucks come with that feature? I know many high end cars don't.

Yes, it's from the onboard computer (evic)it shows me oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp and oil pressure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
My `86 300ZX Turbo had an oem oil temp guage.

My 86 928 doesn't, although it does have an oil pressure gauge.
My Bimmer doesn't and the water temp gauge isn't calibrated and the same with a friends' Acura NSX.

For us Motor oil nerds, it's got to be the single most important gauge in your car!

Yes, it's from the onboard computer (evic)it shows me oil temp, coolant temp, trans temp and oil pressure.

Was the on board computer standard or an option on your truck?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Ideally, it's on the cool side. Nothing wrong, moisture will still leave, but 215°F seems perfect. We are talking F, right?

Pablo, what other temp' scale could we possibly be talking?
If it was Celsius it would have blown up!

212F = 100C
To convert from C to F: C x 1.8 + 32 = F.
Other direction is just reverse. F - 32 / 1.8 = C
I have these memorized. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Ideally, it's on the cool side. Nothing wrong, moisture will still leave, but 215°F seems perfect. We are talking F, right?

Pablo, what other temp' scale could we possibly be talking?
If it was Celsius it would have blown up!

I just wanted to make sure!!
grin2.gif
crazy2.gif

This was an option for this truck. It also let's you change your settings for your key fob ie: flash lights, horn or no horn, open all doors or just driver door, etc, The computer also shows you mpg, miles til empty, compass, outside temp.

All vehicles should come standard with the following guages:

Coolant temp
Oil temp
Oil pressure
Voltage
Transmission temp

Pablo, I wouldn't call 203-204F on the cool side per se.
Actually 180 to 212F is perfect.
You don't need to hit the boiling point of water to rapidly dissipate it. Most cars run max oil temps in the 180F range by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back