HOT OFF THE PRESS...Response from Castrol on GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just HAD to share this with you all. It's the response to an email on GC I sent to Castrol USA. I think the last two paragraphs are the most interesting.

quote:

Castrol produces and utilize formulas from various sources, including North America and Europe depending on the product, performance and
component sourcing. Products may vary in raw materials as a result of the regional production facility. However, the end performance met
whether API or ACEA, is still the same. Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics. The performance specifications on the bottle may read differently as American Standard testing varies from European testing.

Formulations meeting European standards can be sourced from the US or Europe. It all comes down the most efficient way to supply the product
to market taking into consideration development and supply chain logistics.

The decision for 0W-30 to be sourced from Germany is based upon the most efficient supply logistics.

There are many forums on the internet and these are often the result of seemingly knowledgeable persons offering so called "expert information"
to those that aren't. Performance attributes are clearly demonstrated in the performance ratings and OEM approvals indicated for each of our
individual product offerings.

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 offers the same performance as Castrol SLX 0W-30.

Castrol Consumer Relations.

[ September 15, 2003, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Castrol Syntec 0W-30 offers the same performance as Castrol SLX 0W-30.

I got this same line in the response to me from Castrol Canada, and it still makes me wonder, why would Castrol make a totally different oil in Germany that appears to be for all intents and purposes, Formula SLX, but really is just a second version with similar performance? That doesn't even make sense. No company is going to manufacture two totally different oils that are so very similar like that.

They just need to admit it, this oil sold here is in fact repackaged Formula SLX. Based on what we've seen so far, there is such strong evidence that this is the case.

Pat,

That is what I read between the lines in the last sentence. Castrol Syntec 0W30 IS SLX. This is probably the most straightforward sentence in the response whether or not it was intended to be. For me, the matter is settled. (I hear the chorus saying, "Good...enough...it's about time!")

PS I'm not so sure the coyness isn't all part of the plan. A good mystery can be great advertising.

[ September 15, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Castrol never has addressed the fact that they have two different versions of Syntec 0W-30 that have completely different labels. If they think that we're dumb enough to believe that the ACEA A1 rated oil is the same fluid as the ACEA rated A3 oil then they're as crazy as a loon. They continue to tell us that the oils are the same and that they're just sourced from diffent places but they never tell us why one holds lower ratings than the other.

Maybe the questions are just being asked in the wrong manner and Castrol thinks we're only concerned with whether the German Syntec is the same as the European sold SLX. I know I have sent several e-mails to them and never got a straight answer as to why one 0W-30 was rated lower than the other. They just sent the same reply that was sent to Pscholte and finally wrote to me and said that their correspondence with me would be discontinued due to the power outage in the northeast. I've actually heard all I need to hear from them. I believe the GC is excellent oil but the company that produces it isn't worth fighting with.

I know I have sent several e-mails to them and never got a straight answer as to why one 0W-30 was rated lower than the other.

If you have seen all the dust that collected on the yellow and US made red labeled 0W-30, you would know why they are not saying anymore. They need to dump the old 0W-30...........

"There are many forums on the internet and these are often the result of seemingly knowledgeable persons offering so called "expert information"
to those that aren't."

Just my $.02, but with companies providing such 'stellar' customer service, internet forums like BITOG are pretty well a necessity. As one of "those that aren't", I didn't really like that slam by Castrol Consumer Relations. I think the resident 'experts' of BITOG are doing a bang up job, trying to educate those of us that don't know jack ish. Keep up the good work!!

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:

If you have seen all the dust that collected on the yellow and US made red labeled 0W-30, you would know why they are not saying anymore. They need to dump the old 0W-30...........

They should have someone slap a 5w30 label on the front of those old "yellow 0w30" bottles! That's probably the only way to get rid of them.

I still bemoan the fact that a company that CAN produce excellent products has so damaged their credibility by their business practices.
dunno.gif

That response is exactly why smaller family owned companies like Schaeffers, Auto-RX, LC/FP, Amsoil etc., that produce a high quality bang up product , being very forthcoming with tech data, IMHO should be supported. Puts alot of pressure on the big Kahuna's to straighten up.

How many ATSM testing results have you seen lately freely flowing from Castrol ?

They did what was the least expensive for them...probably had a bunch of the Euro 0w-30 sitting around (not selling over there), and they needed to sell it...cheaper to sell what you all ready have on hand (just have to bring it over) then continue to manufacture the U.S. 0w-30.

Castrol is kinda funny though...you know they can make a good product (0w-30 from Europe), but their straight weight oils have weak additive packages, and their 15w-40 can't even get close to the others.

I'll never buy Castrol engine oil though...simply because they tell us nothing...no product data sheets!

Yes, it won't flow at low temps like 0w-30 Castrol, but for $6/gallon ($6/gallon...gotta be the best deal around!), I can go over to Wally World and get a group II+ oil that is definitely extended drain capable, extremely shear stable, has one heck of an additive package, and will keep my engine spotless (Delo 400 and Long-Life 15w-40). Castrol 0w-30 just isn't worth it for me when you can get a product like this!

On top of that, among other things, I know its viscosity, flash point, pour point, as well as phosphorus and zinc levels.

Just ask Castrol to give you this information...

[ September 15, 2003, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

I received an email from castrol for the same question, and the response was the same......WORD FOR WORD! This must be a standard pitch from castrol to cover the questions about the german stuff
rolleyes.gif

quote:

That response is exactly why smaller family owned companies like Schaeffers, Auto-RX, LC/FP, Amsoil etc., that produce a high quality bang up product , being very forthcoming with tech data, IMHO should be supported. Puts alot of pressure on the big Kahuna's to straighten up.

Well said. Why even bother with this oil when you can buy others that are as good and you know what your getting? I don't want a company that buys from a million different suppliers (lax quality control) and produces inconsistancies. Next thing you know the German Castrol won't be German, it will be the Guatemalan Castrol. Lets move on!!
wink.gif

We all know that Castrol's marketing techniques defiintely suck.

But I feel that if this oil gives me the results I want, and it remains on the shelves near me, I'll keep using it. If it doesn't work out for me, or if it disappears off the shelves, I'll be giving Amsoil a try in my Firebird next. (5w30 in winter and 10w40 in summer)

Patman, why not M1 0w-40? I thought you were going to give that a shot? I think Amsoil is a better choice but I want to see a 0w-40 LS1 UOA!!!
grin.gif

Is there a chance that Castrol might be misintrepreting the questions and fears lower sales with a "Made in Germany" product vs. a "Made in USA" product? Especially given Germany's opposition to the US war in Iraq....
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Patman, why not M1 0w-40? I thought you were going to give that a shot? I think Amsoil is a better choice but I want to see a 0w-40 LS1 UOA!!!
grin.gif

I was toying with the idea of M1 0w40 too, but the more I think about it the more I want an oil in my engine that is proven to not change in viscosity. M1 0w40 is not in that category by any means. Sure it might show good numbers in UOA, but over the long run, with all that thinning out I'm sure the engine is getting dirtier inside with each interval. This is another reason I'm not confident with Royal Purple either. Even if my wife's UOAs come back with very low wear, when I see the viscosity go from 11.4 down to 8.8 that tells me there are a lot of "useless sludge molecules" floating around in there.

Besides, if I put 0w40 in my Firebird you still won't see an LS1 0w40 UOA, my 95 Firebird has an LT1 engine in it. It was my previously owned 98 Firebird that had that LS1 engine (as mentioned here before, I traded that car in Nov 00 for a 97 GTP, then traded that GTP in Oct 01 for the 95 Firebird)

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

Terry,

I absolutely agree. Now when will one of our Amsoil reps and Bob move to Europe so I can get my "European version" of the two oils?
grin.gif
(OK, so I'm obssessive on that issue.) But, kidding aside, I wholeheartedly endorse your premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back