Hot Off the Press from AGIP on GF-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you all have already seen this I apologize. I got my newsletter from AGIP today and it contained this article:

GF-4 Poised for Finalization (finally!)
We first mentioned passenger car motor oil (PCMO) specification SL/GF-4 way back in April 2002. It has been a long, tough road for GF-4, but it's at long last scheduled for finalization in July 2004.

The original driving force behind GF-4 -- the government requirement to have OEMs warrant catalytic converters for 120,000 miles beginning with the 2004 model year -- led to the development of a totally new additive package to decrease the phosphorus in oils that contaminates catalytic converters. In addition, the industry has moved to greater use of Group II base oils for lubricant stability purposes (a move AGIP made back in 1997 in all our motor oil formulations [Paul's comment--interesting since they market oils labeled as synthetics]). These changes have in turn led to increased [!!!!] development and production costs for GF-4 oils.

Agip has PCMOs ready to roll that meet and exceed the requirements for GF-4.
Note the comment on Group II and increased costs...maybe Castrol is not such a villain after all...and maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges...but what if...

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Casrtol Syntec Blend 5w-20 has the GF4 designation on the back label.

mikep,

The plot thickens, eh?
shocked.gif

When AGIP speaks of group II thats the only base stock they use in their dino's now or the past since coming to shore here and is also used with 30% PAO in their blends .

I have no doubt they make a good group III 5w-40 especially for the price but the shipping is outa site per case .

Bought locally one can get a groovy deal on it . I don't live local to where they distribute from though
frown.gif

quote:

Note the comment on Group II and increased costs...maybe Castrol is not such a villain after all...and maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges...but what if...

Demand for Group II is going up for cost will rise as Group II ad II+ is used in more formulatons to meet specs. Part of the cost increase of formualted oils will be due to improved additive technology.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:

quote:

Demand for Group II is going up for cost will rise as Group II ad II+ is used in more formulatons to meet specs. Part of the cost increase of formualted oils will be due to improved additive technology.

Mola,

I suspected that the additive package was a player, but I am still wondering if there is something we don't know about the use of Group IIIs and below in the right mix that is more advantageous than those of us who love the IVs and the Vs understand

quote:

but I am still wondering if there is something we don't know about the use of Group IIIs and below in the right mix that is more advantageous than those of us who love the IVs and the Vs understand

I've been wondering the same thing.

quote:

Originally posted by 69 Riv GS:

quote:

but I am still wondering if there is something we don't know about the use of Group IIIs and below in the right mix that is more advantageous than those of us who love the IVs and the Vs understand

I've been wondering the same thing.

"Riv,"

Think we will ever get an answer?
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back