Horse Riders

I spent many summers on my aunt's farm in South Dakota. My cousin was an avid rodeo calf roper. He eventually became a state champion. We had lots of great experiences travelling to rodeos in the Dakotas and Wyoming. His best cowboy buddy was a very good steer bulldogger. Horses are wonderfully noble and intelligent. Seems nobody can resist touching one. They even smell good when sweaty. Used to ride a bit, usually bareback and enjoyed every minute of it. Don't think I could do it today. Got thrown a few times and it hurts.

Anybody have equestrian experience?

calf roper.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Ed? Actually the actor who played wilbur would visit mr. Ed after the show wrapped up. He always pranced up to the fence and remembered him.

My 6 year old daughter started riding this year. She loves it. I have ridden a few times-trail rides and at a summer camp when I was 12 we got to ride daily like they were our personal dirtbikes.

This horse hobby might end up costing me a fortune if she stays with it.

Nah. Thought of it once even though I've never done it before. I was at Yellowstone years ago looking to go on their Roosevelt Old West Cookout. Their options were just a wagon ride or a 1 or 2 hour horseback ride. It rained hard so they cancelled the horseback rides with partial refunds, and everyone got there via wagon.

Thinking about it though, where one of my favorite places to visit (Yosemite) closed its Yosemite Valley stable to most public use. It used to be possible to keep a horse there for a trip, but not it's restricted to supporting official backcountry trips, mules to supply backcountry sites, and I think the horses that park rangers ride.

When I was a young teen, my parents owned a property with a large stone barn with a slate roof, built in the 1860's. My sister had a few horses, and I had one briefly before I found it was more fun to drive an automobile. In fact, my horse only had two speeds: walk and gallop. I opted for the five speed.

My just-turned 19 year old grand daughter in Belgium last week doing this:
340016250_1095850288474367_722380352426724325_n.jpg

Starts nursing school this fall. Proud grandpa, even though I, um, have a thing about "horse people", LOL. We did 4-H horse stuff with our kids with "rental" horses from friends. Horses are similar, with the same effects as boat and swimming pool ownership. Yes, I'm a cheap azz. Glad that others enjoy their passions.

Last edited:
I'm not a horse guy. My dad hated horses as as a kid they still farmed with horses and rode them to school. Now my wife has been in the mix since she was 3. We have several horses and always one or two coming or going. I'll put it this way; she manages an big indoor riding arena, brought in her lesson, breeding, foaling and boarding program. My girls ride almost every day and ride some high caliber animals. They ride English, some western, dressage, jumping and general outdoor trail riding.

I'm still not a horse guy but its good for the soul.

From a 3 or 4 year old I spent the summer at my aunts and uncles ranch, they farmed with horses till Harry the horse was gone and Sam the Belgium horse was kept for us kids to ride he was a wonderful horse. They had ranch horses for working the cattle, We rode the horses when ever we felt like it as they were ranch horses so they were kid safe. The wife and daughter really like Horses we had some really nice Quarter Horses over the decades our kids and Horses seemed to click together, I love Quarter Horses . Now the daughter has two warm bloods [ dumb bloods] I won't get on there backs because too hot. I haven't been on a Horse since 2013. Horses can be quite interesting animals.

I’m a horse dad of 18 years. I’m too big to ride him, but he loves to play with me. This is only something I’d do with a horse I completely trust. We just turn him loose in the arena and I run around with him and roughhouse with him. We charge each other, push into each other, run side by side, play “tag,” etc.

He absolutely loves it. It’s great exercise for me too! If you want to get in shape, try keeping up with an Arabian running around in sand. Phew, it’s a challenge!

I started riding bareback fairly young.. I loved it 😁 Believe it or not that's what actually got me into motorcycling. I haven't ridden a horse in at least 15 years.... I miss it 😞

Me and my wife were talking about it just the other night, the last time I rode we went on a trail ride around Convict Lake near Mammoth. The lady had me ride a big "spirited" mare because I had the most experience in the group, but she warned me to be careful.

That mare was a sweetheart to ride.. she was extremely well behaved. She just wanted a little more excitement than plodding around the same path day after, playing follow the leader, with inexperienced riders reefing on the reigns and digging their heels into her like urban cowboys lol.

So I let her have a little fun along the way, and took her for a short run at the end of the ride... she was a joy to ride, great riding partner. I had a lot of fun 😉 I also got chewed out by the ride leader... but it was worth it, I felt sorry for that mare living a life she didn't really want.

Back