Horrible oil analysis 10k miles brand new Audi A8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Danh
There is no way a flash point of 260F and absolutely trashed viscosity suggests there's "absolutely nothing wrong" with this sample. There are questions about how the sample was taken, but, having embarked on this exercise, there's no way the OP can relax and assume all's well.

The engine is still breaking in, and it's a direct injected engine with forced induction. Blow-by is significant until rings finish seating and DI engines fuel dilute. You put those two things together, and, not surprisingly, you get:
- Low viscosity due to fuel in the oil
- Low flashpoint due to fuel in the oil

Originally Posted by CT8
It is a waste of money to do uoas for the first few oil changes unless you suspect a problem

I don't think it's a waste of money at all, you simply need to remember that wear metals will show higher and ignore that aspect of it. But you can still get other good info from doing a UOA on the factory fill. I did a UOA on the factory fill in my Corvette and will continue to do UOAs on every oil change, so I will be able to see when the engine is fully broken in by tracking the wear metals and seeing them stabilize.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
You just couldn't get through your very valid post without taking a shot at the guy.

What an [censored].

The rest of you people (with a few exceptions) are certifiably insane.

Pot, meet kettle

It's the BITOG way isn't it ? It's "my" way or you're wrong.

No, its not - though it seems to be becoming the norm around here.

Everyone yells the sky is falling when they have no idea what they're looking at. If this UOA were for a brand new Toyota, it would be full of reassurances. Instead it's for an Audi, and the BiTOG parrots start squawking:

There's something wrong with the car! (the only thing wrong with it in this case is it isn't a BiTOG "approved" car)

So much wear! (even though it's normal on a new engine)

Oil in too long! (even though the TBN is fine)

Why would you buy that? (so obscene, muh fuel economy!)

There a few sane posts telling the screaming massed to calm down and go back home - everyone else's world is ending. It's ignorant, it doesn't help the OP, and neither do backhanded comments telling him to sell the car or calling his choice of automobile "obscene."

This place is a far cry from what it was even a year ago.

Factory fill is highly unlikely to be Castrol 5W40 or any 5W40. I agree with SonofJoe, it will either be a 0W30 or 5W30. It is most likely a VW504 approved long life oil and they are not available in 5W40. All the VW504 oils are ACEA C3 low/mid SAPS with TBN typically ~7. So your TBN of 4.8 is nothing unusual.

I hope you don't take my post as "the sky is falling". Clearly it's not a disaster. But it does point to why it "may" be a good idea for some owners to change oil more frequently.

I perform oil changes myself. $30 gets me 5 quarts of M1 and a new filter. Seems like that's cheap insurance.

Furthermore, unlike some of you, I've actually had a few engines fail. I've learned my lesson.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Didn't do the engine any favors by running the original oil for 10k. Should have been done loooong ago.

Can I very respectfully say that your comment very much reflects the US perspective. Here, a 10k OCI is regarded as nothing exceptional. My own car has a 12.5k OCI.

In fact I thought you might want to have a read of something I read this morning (see link). Nissan are putting a brand new 1.3 TGDI engine in the Qashqai (our biggest selling SUV) & they've upped the OCI to 18,000 miles! Speaking personally, I might baulk at running it out that far but it conveys a sense of what is increasingly the norm here in Europe.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nissan-adds-13-litre-petrol-engine-qashqai-range

Last edited by a moderator:
alarmguy said:
Nothing at all wrong with that UOA.

1. UOA wasnt done by you.

2. The only way to correctly do a UOA is the oil must be up to FULL operating temperature when the sample is taken and sample should be taken about the middle of the drain. Roll of the dice for a dealer to do that.

3. Your engine is brand new and nothing at all wrong with that UOA.

4. I understand you are freaking out but assure you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your UOA. Your engine was breaking in for those 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by alarmguy

2. The only way to correctly do a UOA is the oil must be up to FULL operating temperature when the sample is taken and sample should be taken about the middle of the drain. Roll of the dice for a dealer to do that.

4. I understand you are freaking out but assure you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your UOA. Your engine was breaking in for those 10,000 miles. [/quote

There is no way a flash point of 260F and absolutely trashed viscosity suggests there's "absolutely nothing wrong" with this sample. There are questions about how the sample was taken, but, having embarked on this exercise, there's no way the OP can relax and assume all's well.

What overkill said but add this ...

1. Fuel in oil is common in DI engines, even more so in Mazda high compression engines and why taking the oil sample is even more important and done the correct way and that way is full operating temperature.

There is nothing wrong with this persons engine, even the odds are way, way, way in his favor, the odds that one of a EXTREME few UOAs done on this engine in here WHILE THE ENGINE IS BRAND NEW AND ITS A HIGH COMPRESSION DI ENGINE NO LESS, UOA sample taken by a oil change guy at a dealer no less and based on this, some in here think there is a concern?

Its almost laughable, unknown sampling procedure and conditions done by an oil change person at the dealer on a brand new high compression engine.

Im just trying to reassure the OP, he is fine. Plus he has a 100,000 mile warranty I believe, so I would suggest maybe he do 2 more UOAs, over the next 10,000 miles and take the samples himself and that is if only he is concerned.

Last edited:
alarmguy said:

4. I understand you are freaking out but assure you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your UOA. Your engine was breaking in for those 10,000 miles.

4. I understand you are freaking out but assure you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your UOA. Your engine was breaking in for those 10,000 miles. [/quote

What overkill said but add this ...

1. Fuel in oil is common in DI engines, even more so in Mazda high compression engines and why taking the oil sample is even more important and done the correct way and that way is full operating temperature.

There is nothing wrong with this persons engine, even the odds are way, way, way in his favor, the odds that one of a EXTREME few UOAs done on this engine in here WHILE THE ENGINE IS BRAND NEW AND ITS A HIGH COMPRESSION DI ENGINE NO LESS, UOA sample taken by a oil change guy at a dealer no less and based on this, some in here think there is a concern?

Its almost laughable, unknown sampling procedure and conditions done by an oil change person at the dealer on a brand new high compression engine.

Im just trying to reassure the OP, he is fine. Plus he has a 100,000 mile warranty I believe, so I would suggest maybe he do 2 more UOAs, over the next 10,000 miles and take the samples himself and that is if only he is concerned.

I think that was the point many of us were making: the sampling technique adds uncertainty here but the fuel dilution seems abnormal, even for a new, TGDI engine. So some further sampling seems like a good idea, especially if it can be done by the OP under the right conditions. Don't know why this has to become so contentious...

Originally Posted by NuttCase
Factory fill is highly unlikely to be Castrol 5W40 or any 5W40. I agree with SonofJoe, it will either be a 0W30 or 5W30. It is most likely a VW504 approved long life oil and they are not available in 5W40. All the VW504 oils are ACEA C3 low/mid SAPS with TBN typically ~7. So your TBN of 4.8 is nothing unusual.

Probably Castrol 0W30. Audi is using it in gasoline engines as first fill for a long time.

OP you should gather more data from additional UOA's. This sample does not look too bad but it a change was due and likely this will be the worst sample you take from your engine.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by CT8
It is a waste of money to do uoas for the first few oil changes unless you suspect a problem

I don't think it's a waste of money at all, you simply need to remember that wear metals will show higher and ignore that aspect of it. But you can still get other good info from doing a UOA on the factory fill. I did a UOA on the factory fill in my Corvette and will continue to do UOAs on every oil change, so I will be able to see when the engine is fully broken in by tracking the wear metals and seeing them stabilize.

+1. I looked at it as that I got a feel upfront for fuel dilution rates, since my last three buys are DI, and to verify no coolant leaking in oil, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back