Hopefully no truth here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASM Engine Oil Quick reference Chart

Toyotas, but holy moly (sorry), say it ain't so Joe!

(You have to google it)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
ASM Engine Oil Quick reference Chart

Toyotas, but holy moly (sorry), say it ain't so Joe!(You have to google it)

Could I have the translation please? I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you talking about their "N" and "S" requirements?

Donald - No sale here.
tinman - Yes I'm talking abou the "N" and the "S".
They are stating to NOT use synthetic.
SXE -I don't know who made this chart. I'm trying to find that out.
I don't have the URL, it was published on some Toyota forums and I'm trying to find validity. Sole purpose of the post.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Are you talking about the switch to synthetic?...

I was trying to get an update on my daughter's '07 Rav4 for an upcoming oil change. When I searched, this "Quick reference chart" was what I found. I've been using synthetic 5w30 since the second oil change and this chart threw me into a panic. I was hoping someone knowledgeable about this chart (Toyota or not) could chime in.
I sure hope not to have to change back to dino, and that the past 40k miles were serviced correctly.

I can't determine the author, but this chart is available for download at enough sites to fill 21 pages of google hits. I searched for the tiny document number at the bottom, left of the page.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI

I was trying to get an update on my daughter's '07 Rav4 for an upcoming oil change. When I searched, this "Quick reference chart" was what I found. I've been using synthetic 5w30 since the second oil change and this chart threw me into a panic. I was hoping someone knowledgeable about this chart (Toyota or not) could chime in.
I sure hope not to have to change back to dino, and that the past 40k miles were serviced correctly.

Follow your owners manual. That chart is a bunch of incomplete or partial truths hogwash.

My Tundra and FJ's owners manual gives me the options of running 5W-20 instead of 0W-20. The only difference is the recommendation that I only run the 5W-20 5K for the OCI.

Originally Posted By: SXE10
What engine is in the Rav4?

As Hootbro said, owners manual FTW

Thanks SXE and Hootbro. The engine is a v6 - 2GR-FE series.
Manual says 5w30 as does the filler cap. Book said synthetic was ok to use, but 5k intervals were required.
I've never deviated from 5k since purchase, but that NO synthetic freaked me out. Toyota changes their recommendations as the engines develop history, and I was fearful I may have missed something important.

The good news is that this sheet (whatever its origin) only goes back 10 years...soon, your car will fall off that list...and you can use common sense, instead of some unknown moron's interpretation of the requirements...

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I would totally ignore that chart. The "no synthetic" recommendation makes no sense besides most OTC syn's are just GP III syn's anyway which many consider just more highly refined mineral oil.

Toyota Canada has back-spec'd both 5W-20 and 0W-20 to be used in your '07 RAV 4 and the 0W-20 is now the preferred lubricant:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2143463#Post2143463

Thanks for the chart and the sensible input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back