Hope I did the right thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
Jelly;
Its good Penz long life moved up to CI-4, that makes it an even better deal as old stock gets rotated out.
Typicals (specs) published by oil companies are just that. The story I heard was one of the big 15W40s was a little out of grade to the heavy side.
Not a big deal in warm climates, but a concern up here.
Tbn levels in gasoline engines?
I put that question up on the board a couple of months ago, and the thread died in an hour or two.
I agree with you on your TBN comment.
Better to have and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I know most all the 15w-40's come in at about 15.5 at 100C (212F)...definitely not a thin 40 weight, but still a 40 weight. Which oil were you referring to?

Bring up the TBN question again...bet you'll get more reply's this time.

Kernel Potter got it right. The one from your state, in Mobil Kentucky.
I still use Chevron products, but since the girl at the bulk plant got knocked-up........

quote:

Originally posted by Kernel Potter:
I did a Auto-RX interval with Delo 15w-40. I usually use 5w-30 or 10w-30 grades. Even though I was near the end of the interval with the Delo, I got caught with two cold days before I changed it. They were about in the 15F to 20F degree range.

I'll put it this way; at start-up the engine sounded horrible and I just hoped no damage was done. It doesn't seem like there was any, but needless to say the oil came out within a day or two of that second cold start. If Delo can pass as a 10w- XX oil, it's the worse "10w" I've ever used.

I'm not slamming the Delo. In fact I have a very favorable opinion of it. But from my experience I personally won't use it in an engine that sees frequent sub-freezing temps.

The pour point just indicates that it will actually flow at such temps (so, in diesels it guarentees their will be something there to actually pump!) and the fact that is passes 10w pumping requirements does mean something, but one must realize that a 15w-40 dino HDEO oil is still gonna be thicker at low temps than a 10w-30 PCEO, and thus, won't perform like one (Even though the listed spec, 40C, is near 100F).

For example:
Chevron Supreme 10w-30
73.5cSt at 40C but 10.8cSt at 100C
Chevron Delo 400 15w-40
116cSt at 40C but 15.6cSt at 100C

In cold weather (below freezing with no block heater) a 15w-40 is just a little much for a gas engine with factory oil pump.

But when once up and running, you have a barrier of protection half-again as thick with Delo than with Supreme...no fuel-economy regulations to worry about!

[ August 21, 2003, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

I still use Chevron products, but since the girl at the bulk plant got knocked-up........

Huh?

quote:

Misplaced dipstick?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back