Honeymoon is over for Chevron Supreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last two mornings my F150 let out some wonderful tapping/clanking for 2-3 seconds on the first morning startup. Overnight temps aren't too bad....around the mid-low teens I think (it was 17F at 5:45 am).

This is the first and only two times the truck has made the cold morning startup noises since I switched to Chevron Supreme 5w-30. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this has been happening since the truck was new regardless of motor oil used. Some have been better than others but none have eliminated the condition.

I'm convinced there is no way at all to eliminate this first startup/cold morning knock completely. It is apparent, based on the various brnads/weights and filter combos I've tried, that it can be minimized as some have been very loud and taken as long as 15 seconds to quite down. Thus far the Chev Sup/Motorcraft filter combo has been one of the best combos.

I don't know if this makes a diff but the Chevron 5w-30 currently in the pan has 4500 miles on it already. Temps have been lower than the last two days and the noise didn't happen earlier in the OCI. Could it be that this is an indication the oil has about had it?

Mikep

Without a UOA, can't say for sure. But with seeing average OCIs right around 5K with Chevron Supreme, I'd say you were about due.

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
what filter?

Currently Motorcraft FL-820S. I've also used the Chevron Supreme with Supertech and Wix filters though not during winter months which is the only time the noise happens.

Mikep

I'm with shortyb. 4,500 miles on a (albeit, good) buck-a-quart dino?

Time to change it. At the very least, the additive package isn't quite what it used to be.

--- Bror Jace

cool.gif
I agree, and try a different filter to see what happens although the cold weather may be over by the time you get 4500 on the next oil. My wife's Pontiac would rattle on start-up with a AC filter as it neared 5k on the oil (Mobil 1) but it didn't with the Mobil 1 filter I had on last time and so far with the K&N it's okay but there's not a lot of miles on it yet.

I was planning on the 5,000 OCI. The last few intervals with this oil were right around this 4500 mile mark and had a good UOA that showed some life left in the oil.

Understood though that while ther may technically be enough life left in the package to make it to the 5,000 mark, it may be weakened enough to not deal with the cold overnight temps.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend? May as well use that case of Havoline Synthetic 5w-30 I've got sitting in the garage.

Mikep

Mike, if you're going to continue with the 5000 mile intervals, you'd probably be better off with one of the blends, such as Schaeffer oil or Castrol Syntec Blend. Or even one of the high mileage oils (which are basically blends too). These will give you a bit more stability towards the end of the interval compared to a conventional, but won't cost as much as a synthetic.

I hadn't thought of this, but part of a dino's add pack are pour point depressants ... and these lose effectiveness after a few thousand miles.

That might be a factor in the louder noises.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thx for the recommendations Patman. My friend Whimsey purchased some Schaefer's blend and we talked about the possibility of doing a joint order next time.

So as others (Bror, Cangrey ala Patman) have pointed out the cold weather beating up on dino add packs, I have a few options;

1. decrease the OCI during winter months (this kind of stinks since I'd be doing more frequent changes on a cold driveway).

2. use something like LC during winter months.
3. switch to a blend or maybe even full synth and try to ride out the winter on one OCI (perhaps two changes with a blend).

I tend to agree that the cold weather has depleted the effectiveness of the add pack. It has been as cold, if not colder than these last two days and no such noises when the fill was newer.

Regarding full synths....the two I've already tried last winter were M1 and Amsoil 0w-30. Both of them exhibited very noisy starts cold morning starts right from the get go.

Mikep

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

1. decrease the OCI during winter months (this kind of stinks since I'd be doing more frequent changes on a cold driveway).

If this is the route you end up deciding to take, you should have no problem finding at least one day above 50F during the winter months in NJ. Last weekend I know you guys had some warm weather, just like we did, we hit 56F on Saturday. So anybody who was looking for the perfect day to get a mid winter oil change done, couldn't have asked for a better chance.

Personally, cold weather is one of the reasons I prefer synthetic, this way I change it out in the fall and I know I definitely won't need to be doing any oil changes until the springtime. I will hit 10,000km on my current oil sometime around mid March, but it's nice to know that if we have a lot of snow or a lot of cold weather at that time, I could easily wait a month (or two or three!) longer and my oil could handle it.

Mikep,
I just happen to have an "extra" 7 quarts of Schaeffer's Supreme #701 if you want to try it. I seem to remember somebody on this site saying how it helped them with their "slapper". I'm sure we can work out a fair "deal"
grin.gif
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif
Are you changing the oil outside? If so I'll bring Brandy instead of beer
wink.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Mikep,
I just happen to have an "extra" 7 quarts of Schaeffer's Supreme #701 if you want to try it. I seem to remember somebody on this site saying how it helped them with their "slapper". I'm sure we can work out a fair "deal"
grin.gif
cheers.gif

offtopic.gif
Are you changing the oil outside? If so I'll bring Brandy instead of beer
wink.gif

Whimsey

I may as well use that case of Havoline synth 5w-30 since I doubt I could find the receipt.

Brandy? Hmmmm, are you talking the liquid variety or a fair haired maiden named Brandy? Better yet, bring both!!! Oh great, now I'll be singing that song in my head the rest of the day. LOL

Patman....yep. I missed the golden opportunity a week or so ago when it was up into the low 50s.

Mikep

Perhaps another option might be to stick with the chevron in the summer and use the synthetic in the winter. The cost should average out the same as a blend. Just a thought.

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:
Perhaps another option might be to stick with the chevron in the summer and use the synthetic in the winter. The cost should average out the same as a blend. Just a thought.

Yep, that is a good alternative
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by dustyjoe1:

Or just use a good blend year round
grin.gif

Mike I think LC in the oil would help a lot. I also think that once it warms up you should try Chevron Supreme 10W30. It has fared better in UOA then the 5W30.

I hope you post how long you go with the synthetic, I've been going to 6k on my f150 v6 with no problem (motorcraft filter). I'd appreciate it. Always wondered how long I could go with that one...good oil imo.

Patman has been continuously pointing out something neglected by many dino owners. The fact that low temp characteristics of dino oils do not hold up very well as compared to syns. When new they aren't bad but degrade quickly with some miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back