Honest opinions on these two tires ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok local shop i have previously bought from has AVID Ascend's with 70,000 mile tread warranty at $730.00 OTD and ive got them on the Accord and so far so good.

Went to walmart today and they have the goodyear assurance's for $644 OTD with the same roadhazzard, tread warranty etc..

I have ZERO experience with Good Year's most all my experience is with Yoko's, Dunlops, Mich's etc..

Pros ? Con's ? obviously there is a price difference..

This will go on the 06 Milan in my Sig, DD in Indiana, all season all weather tire needed.

Also, the WalMart is about 10 min from my home, the other shop is closer to 20 min.. and we do shop Walmart alot so the car could be serviced (tire services) while we shop)

Thought?

For normal driving, I would go with the less expensive Goodyears. I dint know how these tires would do in Indiana winters, but in socal, they work fine

What size do you need? Those prices seem high, unless you've got a high-end tire/wheel option. Did you shop online?

In the past 4 years, I've been through 3 sets of Assurance Fuel Max's, and there less then a year old Assurance Comfortread Tourings are already gonna have to go back and be replaced.

Just don't.

The Yoko's have a 740 A A UTQG, the Goodyear's are 740 A B, with a few being 640 A B.

I would get the Yoko's

Honestly, that sounds way too pricey for me. I'd shop at discount tire direct and use some rebate deals and/or get a local shop to pricematch.

I can chime in and give my opinion on this because I have owned a few. I used to have the Goodyear Assurance and then in tiny letters it did say Fuel Max, I assume that was the first generation of them. Those were great tires, wore well, traction was excellent till they were bald and handled very well if not a bit on the firm side. Got a little dry and crispy towards the end but I def got my money's worth out of them by then (about 60k). Since I liked those I got a set of Goodyear Viva Authority tires which I am pretty sure are Walmart Specific. These tires are HORRIFIC at best. They now have about 20k on them. Very soft and squishy, handle terrible. The suspension on the car was replaced fully and it was properly aligned when it got those tires so it is not the car's fault. Already had to replace 2 for broken belts, not wearing evenly, very noisy, slide in the rain but surprisingly did very well in deep snow through a really bad winter. I would not recommend them, judging by reviews I have read I am not the only one that hates them. Just be careful because they have been renamed at Wal Mart to the Goodyear Assurance Authority probably because people had bad experiences but the tread is the same so I doubt much has changed. I would personally go for tires that are sold in other places because it seems that the ones made specifically for Wal Mart seem to be a really cheapened version. Not sure I will be buying tires from Goodyear again after this, shame because I never had a problem with them before. Tripletreds were one of the best tires I ever owned btw.

I would shop around. Make some place do some price matching from prices online including shipping.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Seems like an awful lot of money for tires that aren't going on an SUV or a pickup.

+1; especially when the depreciation is 100%

Lots of folks are saying this is expensive. OP, have you shopped around? Have you priced those models of tires online, incluidng shipping and tax?

Assuming the prices are reasonable and competitive, Id consider the model that is not W-M specific, especially if you have past experience and like the other tire, Id probably go that way. While Im sure its an OK tire, something that is compromising to hit a price point for WM rubs me the wrong way.

Tires on a DD can well be more important than on other vehicles, because more time and miles are spent on them.

Originally Posted By: FordFocus
Is your tire size 225/50R17 or 205/60R16?

225/50R17 is what on the Milan, and ive tried the whole price matching game in Terre Haute, nobody ever wants to price match online deals and they throw up the whole (before shipping /after shipping arguement)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Lots of folks are saying this is expensive. OP, have you shopped around? Have you priced those models of tires online, incluidng shipping and tax?

Assuming the prices are reasonable and competitive, Id consider the model that is not W-M specific, especially if you have past experience and like the other tire, Id probably go that way. While Im sure its an OK tire, something that is compromising to hit a price point for WM rubs me the wrong way.

Tires on a DD can well be more important than on other vehicles, because more time and miles are spent on them.

Yes.. what you get into is the price per tire, plus shipping, plus a hazzard package, plus mounting and balancing.. when its all said and done (and trust me last year i researched the sin out of this) the local shops v.s. online prices were very close after you considered all the costs.. esp the fact that in this part of the world we have some rough roads and using your road hazzard is pretty common.. the idea of shipping busted up tires in for exchanges V.S. going local and getting the problem fixed same day is a HUGE selling point for the local tire biz..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back