Honda's MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading an article online last night when i came across a thread about Honda's MM. Many techs and customers were complaining about the chains on Honda's being worn out and stretched very early. I believe there were 3 cases of them going up within the 5 year warranty. Also, the oil screens built with the timing chain assembly seems to get clogged much easier than previously thought. Lastly, i heard Honda was revamping their oil life % to hit 15% within about 6-7k miles now. Seems they are having the same problem GM and Subaru had back in 2010-12 with their MM. Definitely 5k mile OCI's from now on, no longer.

GM has had near perfect success on V8's, seems the smaller engines are harder on oil. Perhaps they just work harder to haul around the bloated whales we all drive now.

Honda's issues seem centered around VCM, based on what I read here. Their 4 bangers do not seem to have the same amount of problems...

Yes, I have heard this as well. A Honda technician on another forum was noting that he was seeing stretched chains on K24 engines (Accords, CR-Vs, and Elements) where people followed the MM change interval. Also heard of the VTEC solenoid screens getting gunked up. I was following 5K changes on my CR-V, never had any problems.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Definitely 5k mile OCI's from now on, no longer.

+1 I have always advocated 5000 miles OCI's because of vvt and timing chains.

The problem with stretched chains on the K24 seems to be very infrequent and specific to earlier model years. It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.

Our '08 had MM OCIs with the first owner and 5k mile OCIs with me. 5k mile OCIs (on 5k mile odometer increments) is easy to remember and convenient. I end up spending more money changing $18 oil every 5k miles than I would spend changing $25 oil every 8-10k miles, but it's something I enjoy doing...

I have followed the MM on my wife's 08 CR-V since we bought it new. It now has a little over 100,000 miles. I usually hit 15% on the MM a little over 9,000 miles. So far there have not been any problems. I have used mostly Mobil 1 EP but have had a run or two of PP and Castrol Edge. For filters I have ran Napa Gold's, Mobil 1's and Fram Ultra's.

Hearing this makes me consider dropping back to a more conservative 5,000 mile interval.

You are using synthetic. Most people go to Jiffy Lube or a mechanic and have them put in dino oil. Part of why I use synthetic is I have no concerns going the 8000 miles the MM recommends. So far, 137,000 miles and engine looks, sounds and runs great- and I have the hated VCM system.

ref

Originally Posted By: refaller
You are using synthetic. Most people go to Jiffy Lube or a mechanic and have them put in dino oil. Part of why I use synthetic is I have no concerns going the 8000 miles the MM recommends. So far, 137,000 miles and engine looks, sounds and runs great- and I have the hated VCM system.

ref

That is how I have looked at it since I bought it new. The other thing is I usually do a top off of 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart at the 6,000 mile mark. This should give a slight boost to the oil for the last 3,000 or so miles.

That's the other thing- most people never check level! I haven't had to add any yet, but I still check at least 2x a month. My son-in-law didn't know where his dipstick was! I bet a lot of people would be fine if that hadn't been running their cars for thousands of miles with low oil.

ref

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back