Honda's Maintenance Minder System

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased an '08 CRV last August. It is still running the factory-fill oil. I have 7200kms (4500mi) on the odo. The on-board computer is telling me that the oil life is currently 50%. If that's the case, I could be looking at a 16000km oci. I'm feeling pretty uneasy about that. My 05 CRV's oci was 8000kms.

Should I leave the oil in until the computer tells me to change it, or follow my gut and change it out at 8000kms?

Yup! It's not linear and it will drop faster if you do frequent stop-n-go, short-trips or idling, or outside ambient temperature lower than expected.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Afterall: my 07 fit OLM ended up telling me to change my oil once every year....

(*using MC semi-syn 5W20*)

Q.

Originally Posted By: Audioquest

Should I leave the oil in until the computer tells me to change it, or follow my gut and change it out at 8000kms?

Yes, wait until the MM tells you 15% or less. My first oil change occured at 12,000 with 5% oil life left. If you refer to the owner's manual, it also recommends that the factory fill NOT be changed early.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Change it now. 4500 miles is plenty for your FF.

+1

that oil is possibly a bit 'metaly' from the break-in. drain it!

The Honda MM is more than just an oil life monitor. New Honda vehicles do not contain a schedule like other vehicles do or did. All maintenance items are contained in that MM system. By changing the oil earlier than the MM indicates, you may be missing other critical maintenance items that are required, but the computer system doesn't "know" because these maintenance items notify the owner at the same time oil life reaches 15% or less. You could get around this problem, though, if you do not reset your oil life monitor after each oil change.

While I respectfully understand some posters insistance on changing oil (FF or otherwise) within a prescribed mileage, it is not generally a good idea and in most cases, unwarranted. The engineers developed a MM system with the understanding that oil quality and refinement is far superior than it was even 10 years ago. The Honda MM triggers based on a combination of factors.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
By changing the oil earlier than the MM indicates, you may be missing other critical maintenance items that are required, but the computer system doesn't "know" because these maintenance items notify the owner at the same time oil life reaches 15% or less.

That is not true. You can do a "forced retrieval" of the maintenance codes.

As long as your oil life is not at 100%, hold down the select/reset button for 10 seconds until the oil life flashes. At that time, any maintenance items that are due will appear on the screen in the form of codes. This has worked for me.

Well, lots of 'yes' and 'no' answers... The vehicle is leased, and will go back in 3 years. I'm thinking if Honda put the bloody system in there, then they are going to stand behind it if something were to go wrong. I'll just keep checking the level and wait until MM tells me to change the oil. I've read a lot of posts on used oil analysis for the Honda K-series 2.4 engines and the general concensus is that they are pretty easy on oil.

The vehicle is leased, and will go back in 3 years.

I purchased an '08 CRV last August.

I'm thinking if Honda put the bloody system in there, then they are going to stand behind it if something were to go wrong. I'll just keep checking the level and wait until MM tells me to change the oil.

You already knew the answer.

I agree with Pablo but will toss in my two pennies anyway. The difference is between what's "best" and what's "adequate". BITOG member "cderalow" is tracking used oil analyses on his '07 CR-V using the Maintenance Minder and having his oil changed at the dealership.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...224#Post1332224
If you compare his UOA results to Blackstone's universal averages and my older CR-V
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...728#Post1319728
you'll notice he's reading higher across the board and I don't even think you can attribute it all to break in. My Civic Si's much higher reving K20Z3 motor had about the same or less metal show up over it's first 10,000 miles (FF for 4k and PP for 6k) compared to his 8500-16000 mile run.

So, while I believe the Maintenance Minder is adequate, especially if you plan on getting rid of the car before the 150,000 mile range, I do think that it meshes with Honda's tendency to push their maintenance schedules to longer intervals to improve their "total cost of ownership" figures at the expense of ultimate longevity. Instead of parts lasting 300,000 miles they might *only* make 150,000-200,000 miles (just an example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back