Honda Z-1 UOA 18K miles w/Particle Cnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this sample when I installed a Magnefine filter. I also drained a refilled about 3 quarts of oil in the process, though that may have been a waste. I will recheck in 20K or so and see what the Magnefine did for me.Overall the numbers look good. Really good! The 15/15/12 ISO code was better than I expected (especially considering it has no filter at all!) and better than a bottle of new ATF I just had checked.

Z-1.jpg

Benjamming:

2000 Accord V6 automatic (don't know the actual model designation of the trans)

We have owned car since new and I have been doing drain-n-fills every 15K. At 50K I did a cooler line oil change and replaced all the fluid. That's the fluid in the test. Car has 70K now, mostly the equivalent of freeway miles.

Define an "unreal" cleanliness test?

It's an ISO 4406:99 result. The tests were done on a Rockwell Automation Digital "Contam-Alert" (Entek) automatic particle counter, which uses the pore blockage method, one of three or four accepted methods (read the linked article).

AzFireGuy: I believe the particle count is an additional $22 over the standard analysis.

Pore Blockage

Last edited:
Visc sheared a little too much for me.

I love the comments "could handle 20000" and then what, a full flush???

With that wear, one would think that ISO count would be higher.
But, insolubles are '0' so it could be believable.

All transmissions have filters. The question is "is it serviceable?", and was there a drain plug magnetic?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Visc sheared a little too much for me.

I love the comments "could handle 20000" and then what, a full flush???

With that wear, one would think that ISO count would be higher.
But, insolubles are '0' so it could be believable.

All transmissions have filters. The question is "is it serviceable?", and was there a drain plug magnetic?

Now that you mention it,the 15/15/12 ISO code does seen a little anomalous with the PPM readings. Still, the Argon Spectrometer Blackstone uses for elemental analysis will catch & ID all particles regardless of size. The pore blockage style particle counter will only catch those particles above 10u. A high percentage of what shows in the elemental analysis is probably very small stuff. That's probably what you mean by noting the insoluables at zero. Correct me if I'm reading that incorrectly.

Yeah, I didn't like the viscosity drop either. Not sure what it means (other than the obvious thought that Z-1 is [censored]) or if I need to be concerned. Been thinking I'd like to change out the Z-1 but cheapskate that I am, will probably run it out. Want to complete my Magnefine experiment anyway (at least through one more OCI). Seems to be a good track record on the Honda boxes with Amsoil ATF.

I don't believe the Honda autos have anything more than a screen(s), which is not serviceable. It does have a drain plug magnet, which was not heavily coated.

Just to add detail, here is the actual counts by size, just received in the mail:

>2u= 631
>5u= 233
>10u= 64
>15u= 25
>25u= 5
the rest zero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back