Honda VTX1800, GN-4 10W40 OIl

Status
Not open for further replies.
This motorcycle belongs to my SIL. It is a Honda VTX1800, water cooled, 2003 bought new this summer with 10 miles. Two previous oil changes. 95% Highway miles.
code:

Oil Type: Honda GN-4 10W40

Oil Filter: Honda

Total miles: 5500

Miles on oil: 2500

Copper 4

Iron 19

Chrome 0

Nickel 0

Lead 0

Tin 2

Alum 12

Silicon 8

Sodium 5

Potassium 0

MOLY 54

Boron 177

Barium 1

Calcium 1539

Mag 8

Phos 734

Zinc 851

Oxy 12

Nitr 21

Viscosity 9.6

TBN N/A

Ferrous Debris 14

Anti-Freeze, Fuel and Water all Neg.

After letting this oil sit in the pan for a week, quite a bit of visible alum. particles. Also Honda warned him that he cannot use any oil that contains moly or it would void his warranty.
smile.gif
Good way to ensure that he uses the $4 a bottle stuff from them. Have not been able to convince him to use 15W40 Delvac or Delo.

Viscosity took a ride South, but also these 2500 miles were on the highway and ambient temps from 80-100F.

[ September 02, 2005, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

i would ask the service manager to PROVE where in the manual it says no moly.
i'll bet it says, "No Energy Conserving Oil", but never mentions the word moly.

big motor with lots of torque. the Al is from the clutch. Fe is a little high, but so new as to not worry at this point. get a magnetic drain plug. one that is a rare earth version. it will catch the fe fuzz. tin and copper should go down on the next change.

depending on ambient temps and if winter riding is a consideration and if all miles will be hwy will determine the better oil to use.
multiple uoa's with Shell Rotella T 15w40 show less than 10ppm moly (1/5th this gn-4 has). hard to find cheaper and more available oil than it.

but you know all of this.
wink.gif

Thanks sunruh. I could not convince him to use anything except the Honda oil. So after this UOA the next change he will run 2 quarts of Rotella 15W40 and 2 quarts of the Honda GN-4. It takes exactly 4 quarts with FF change. Then we will sample that one and see how it compares. I got him half-way there.
smile.gif

gn-4 looks more like an avg car oil on paper? Might as well go to autozone and get some anybrand 10/40 on sale!

More importantly, tell us how you liked the bike!

This is my SIL's bike. He loves it. Looks and feels solid. He comutes to work with it, so he gets about 2500 miles on it in 6 weeks. It is the retro style also. All stock so far.

smile.gif

quote:

i would ask the service manager to PROVE where in the manual it says no moly.
i'll bet it says, "No Energy Conserving Oil", but never mentions the word moly.

big motor with lots of torque. the Al is from the clutch. Fe is a little high, but so new as to not worry at this point. get a magnetic drain plug. one that is a rare earth version. it will catch the fe fuzz. tin and copper should go down on the next change.

depending on ambient temps and if winter riding is a consideration and if all miles will be hwy will determine the better oil to use.
multiple uoa's with Shell Rotella T 15w40 show less than 10ppm moly (1/5th this gn-4 has). hard to find cheaper and more available oil than it.

but you know all of this.

I can prove it. I just bought a used 2005 Honda CBR 600RR. The manual specifically states not to use "Engery Conserving Oil" and anything with MOLY".

anything with MOLY

I still haven't gotten an answer as to how many types of moly are presently used in motor oil?

Most you oils have 200 rating on moly at the most, but Motul and Redline have 3 times that amount yet still perform well in wet clutch.

They must be using a different form of moly?

Honda wet clutches are no different than anyone elses

[ November 18, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Mackelroy ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back