Honda V6 rear bank stuck rings and using oil

Lots of highway driving?

I'd say 65%+

~200k miles from December 2008 (Purchased used with 8000 miles) until December 2014. That vehicle traveled all over the state of GA (mainly for work), we had a second home in AL that we would visit mostly every other weekend, drove to southern OH several times, to the mountains of PA, down to SW Florida, up through TN and more. It was a spectacular vehicle to travel in.

I have Gen 3 VCM paired with the H6 in the MDX. It is short tripped, I do have a muzzler that I deactivate for the fuel economy benefits on longer highway runs, which are seldom. 95% of its use is in town, muzzled. No issues to date with 87K on the odo. I live on an interstate and therefore don't ever really do "highway" driving...so when I disable the muzzler I'm going 80mph or so which makes me wonder if it's even capable of maintaining that speed with one bank shut down. Add in the fact that having a 20+mph headwind is common and I'm thinking there is no way.

I have Gen 3 VCM paired with the H6 in the MDX. It is short tripped, I do have a muzzler that I deactivate for the fuel economy benefits on longer highway runs, which are seldom. 95% of its use is in town, muzzled. No issues to date with 87K on the odo. I live on an interstate and therefore don't ever really do "highway" driving...so when I disable the muzzler I'm going 80mph or so which makes me wonder if it's even capable of maintaining that speed with one bank shut down. Add in the fact that having a 20+mph headwind is common and I'm thinking there is no way.
Highway use is when it's going to be used the most. Very little use in town due to the driving characteristics.

Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) is Honda's term for its variable displacement technology, which saves fuel by using the i-VTEC system to disable one bank of cylinders during specific driving conditions—for example, highway driving.
Several V6 engines in the Honda lineup come with a tech called Variable Cylinder Management (VCM). With this system, drivers are treated to optimum performance on all six cylinders while accelerating. When in cruise between 30 and 70 mph, the vehicle will shift to three- or four-cylinder mode to save fuel, while still delivering premium performance.

Back