Honda V6 engine pictures, 120,000 miles...and RSX pictures as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, you just blew your cover. The FBI will never except you now. . . . Nope. . . .
nono.gif

He moderates two forums over there.
shocked.gif

And the majority of the moderators are... foreigners
freak2.gif

Hmmm, Brian, it doesn't look too good for you, my friend.
I start wondering about your loyalty to this forum and the country.
Please convince me otherwise...
cool.gif

Wow, my 99 Odessey has 122k on it and I've never had the valves adjusted. It runs great, but what happens if you don't do it, does the valve hit the piston? How could it get more tight over time?

Back on topic...
grin.gif

My question is: In regards to the Acura TL with 120,000 miles, which has had oil changes every 3,000 miles, to what extent do the pictures prove or disprove the theory of 3,000 mile oil changes providing sufficient long-term engine cleanliness?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by glxpassat:
Wow, my 99 Odessey has 122k on it and I've never had the valves adjusted. It runs great, but what happens if you don't do it, does the valve hit the piston? How could it get more tight over time?

Have no clue...but I think its a wise idea that you adjust them.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vad:
He moderates two forums over there.
shocked.gif

And the majority of the moderators are... foreigners
freak2.gif

Hmmm, Brian, it doesn't look too good for you, my friend.
I start wondering about your loyalty to this forum and the country.
Please convince me otherwise...
cool.gif

Actually, I'm a "supermoderator" which allows me to mod all the forums. The 900/9-3 are my home forums. Too bad I wrecked my 900 and now have a sludgy 9-5! Hence the increase in BITOG posts and the envy I seeth when looking at those Accord and RSX pics. That's ok, my other car is a CR-V.

LOL, yes, the forum is brit based but it's the biggest. I'm as red-state as they come, though...

On topic...
As for the OP, yeah, I'd say in this case 3k dino was the ticket. But Honda engines aren't know to be hard on oil, either...

glxpassatt, valves can get tighter because they wear into the valve seats. As a result, they have actually moved up, or closer towards the rocker/cam lobe depending on the valvetrain setup. If that happens and you get zero lash when the valves are closed/cylinder is at TDC, bad things can happen! This usually happens to exhaust valves and if they wear to the point they aren't in their seat in the fully closed position, they can overheat and burn.

The valves get tighter because they recede into the seat further from wear to both the seat and valve. In some cases, after overrevving, the stem can actually stretch, tightening the clearance also.
 -

Is it normal practice for a decent mechanic to do a VLA when doing a timing belt on the Honda 4 cyl? We got the vehicle with 85k and a fresh timing belt, supposedly the mechanic nagged the owner into an early service. Would it be normal to have done a VLA at the same time?

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Is it normal practice for a decent mechanic to do a VLA when doing a timing belt on the Honda 4 cyl? We got the vehicle with 85k and a fresh timing belt, supposedly the mechanic nagged the owner into an early service. Would it be normal to have done a VLA at the same time?

I've had my timing belt replaced on my 4 cylinder Accord twice now, and I had the valve lash done both times. If you do it that way, you only pay for one valve cover gasket, instead of two if you do them seperately. I have no idea if it's standard procedure though...

I'll bite on the manifold switch: I understand what I read above about rear exhaust providing a shorter path to the cat, so the new choice is good.

But there must have been reasons for the old style with exhaust in the front. Anyone know what they are? I can speculate but real info would be more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back