Honda to discontinue lawn mowers September 2023

I thought they'd at least start selling electric mowers :eek:

The Honda name sells itself. I finally got an electric mower this year just before the drought, but if I had bought a gas mower, it would've had a Honda GCV engine (though not the Honda mower itself since they're so expensive, but some cheaper mower with a Honda engine).

It could be another victim of Harbor Freight, as some of their Predator engines are Chondas. For example, the Predator 212 is a Chinese copy of the Honda GX200, but HF/Predator only copies the GX OHV engines, not the GC/GCV OHC engines.

It could simply be that ATV's and SxS's are more profitable. A lot of companies have discontinued their less-profitable products recently.

But for most people, electric mowers are the best choice. They are nowhere near as loud as a gas mower :D

Someone else was looking for a cheap gas lawn mower, and I found a Craftsman M140 with the GCV160 for $200.

I got to say this, for a quality push mower, it's John Deere GREEN or Honda RED. As far as I can tell, Honda will still be making the engines, which are excellent. Honda engines with white gas tanks are the core of reliable small power equipment.

I can see why they are doing this, governments "banning" gas powered lawn equipment. The incredible profits they are getting from SxS's.

Honda and Kawasaki/Polaris are making BANK on SxS's, others like Suzuki cucked out and focusing on motorcycles... leaving the KQ line stale and no SxS offerings!

Sounds like there filling the plants, so my guess is there is way more profit in ATV and side by sides.

My neighbor had a Honda and bought a electric mower, sold his Honda. I think he kind of regrets it now - says the electric doesn't spin fast enough to lift the grass like the gas one did so he has to mow more often? No idea, my B&S lawnmower was cheap and will likely outlive my ability to push it.

Same as Husqvarna/AYP , just can't compete in the game, MTD has volume like no one else, and Toro seems to have the pro-sumer market on lock.

When all the pro- electric mower people have to replace their batteries in a couple of years, there will be a a fortune made by people selling used gas mowers. I honestly don't see, or have the same problems with my 3 gas mowers that I see the people here have. My oldest mower is a 1997 craftsman .Runs like the day I bought it new. Has only had 10% gas in it, always starts easy. My other 2 are at lest 15 years old, and all 3 get used in my small lawn mowing business. Along with my old blower, and my 4 stroke weed trimmer. The trimmer was new last year and was a gift. It works good, but it's heavy. My wife bought me one of the first battery wackers that black and decker made. It was a joke. It would take 4 1/5 hours to charge each battery, and would last for 15-20 minutes of wacking. I know they gotten better since then, but like I said , batteries are too expensive for how long they last.,,

Wow!

A year ago I needed to buy a brush cutter / trimmer and I didn’t have time to research, so I just grabbed a Honda knowing it would be fine and last well. It’s a name you can trust.

Reactions: GON
This does point to a trend. Much like the end of two stroke lawn mowers. I still have my LawnBoy two stroke 6.5HP Silver Series. It's a beast, and it's lightweight too. However I have to admit that my Toro 60V mower does everything the LawnBoy does (mows on steep incline) and the electric Toro is about as lightweight, with very good power, but nothing bogs the LawnBoy. So when it comes to raw umph, and the ability to mow for hours, gas is still king.

Nope, this includes the mower engines as well.

For the reason stated above
They’re getting out of mowers, but will still make mower engines?

I’m good with that. No big deal.
So, which is it?

From the article, which quotes a Honda statement:

”"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."

Well - I for one don’t want an early edition $5k electric to replace a $2k Briggs/Husky …

So, which is it?

From the article, which quotes a Honda statement:

”"The decision to end lawn mower production is driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences, and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio," the statement said. "Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line and industrial type power products such as GX engines, generators and water pumps, and continue to supports its service and parts operations in the U.S. market."
“Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line…”

Do you really think they’ll get out of their GX series engines or generators? I don’t.

“Honda will continue to sell the remainder of its lawn and garden product line…”

Do you really think they’ll get out of their GX series engines or generators? I don’t.
I wouldn’t think so, but there were two very different ways of understanding the announcement being expressed. I was merely trying to show those two positions and then to clarify what Honda said. Seems like they’re going to keep making the small engines and generators, etc.

I wouldn’t think so, but there were two very different ways of understanding the announcement being expressed. I was merely trying to show those two positions and then to clarify what Honda said. Seems like they’re going to keep making the small engines and generators, etc.
I see what you mean. I take the comment to mean they are keeping their OPE lines essentially.. meaning engines and such.

So you can still get a Honda lowered engine, not a Honda branded engine.

Back