honda timing belt change

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many have done it themselves? have a honda oddessy that need it. I called acouple of places and was quoted 9-1k for the service. This includes a water pump which they change a matter of course. I looked up the part and they come out to about 2 for timing belt and pump.

I'm reasonbly good at mechanical stuff. Is it very difficult to to changethe belt??

Thanks

No, shouldn't be too difficult. Look the steps up in a manual first to make sure there aren't any tricks or special tools needed. You'll need a good impact wrench to remove the crankshaft bolt though. It would be good to have access to one rated for at least 500lb-ft. I have an older 1/2" drive CP good for about 350lb-ft that wouldn't take that bolt off a civic. I think they torque them to around 180lb-ft and use loc-tite when installing from the factory.

Make sure you change any tensioners at the same time. They often come in a kit with the belt.

I have a manual. I've done it on volkwagons with single cam but not with the dual cams. I asked the guy at the dealer and he said its a 9 hour job according to the book. So a good mech can probabaly do it in 5. I've got a imapct gun so thats not a problem. I just feel funny putting out 700 in labor.

I've done the timing belt on a 1992 Accord and a 1982 Prelude and both times the process was simple and straightforward.

The Odyssey is v6, correct? I don't know anything about the belt layout on that engine, but I can't imagine that it is too difficult.

Do yourself a favor and at least get the repair manual for it and as rpn453 said: get an impact wrench. You can find used electric impacts on ebay for 40-70 dollars. It will pay for itself the first time you use it on a crank bolt.

Set aside a full weekend.

you should check and see what they offer as far as warranty for parts/labor goes. I had an 89 accord that needed it done on and the dealer wanted $800+ at the time but didnt offer any extra protection, should it break, than the local mechanic. I of course went with the local guy doing it for <500.00 and the same 12 month warranty

I believe with the Odyssey, you have tp lift the engine to get it aroung an engine mount. A good honda shop should be able to do it for like $500 including the water pump.

I called 2 dealers and a large independent. They were all within 100 of each other.yea your right about the warranty. But what does the warranty cover?? lets say the belt they install breaks,are they going to fix my engine?or just the labor and part for a new belt and the rest of the damage is on your dime?according to the manual the egine just need to be raise with afloor jack.

I think most shops go by the mitchell book these day regardless of how long it takes.

You need to be careful of "warranted" service. Yes they usually cover their parts (and in turn labor) for a short amount of time, however, you will often find that consequential damage is not covered.

Buyer beware.

As far as the reference to lifting the engine, it has been the case on both Honda's that I've changed the belts on that an engine mount had to be removed.

I'm not trying to pick a fight regarding warranties, just trying to share my experience.

Wow. That V6 sure looks complicated compared to my I4. You have to take the intake manifold off to replace the timing belt?? Glad I don't have one.

Dealer price for my 91 Prelude is $275 (don't remember if that included the water pump), did it myself for $100 in parts (replaced water pump and crank/cam seals).

We borrowed my dad's neighbor's 750lb-ft impact gun and even at 100psi it wouldn't take the bolt out. 2 hrs and a propane torch finally broke it loose. Propped the engine with a jack, since the driver's side engine mount had to come off.

One good thing about doing it yourself is that you can shop around for good prices on parts, and change all the other belts, etc that need to come off in order to do the job.

While it is true that if you put the belt on wrong you will cause big problems, it is not that difficult to ensure you have done it properly. Inspect the belt alignment marks carefully, then rotate the engine through two revolutions and check if the marks still line up. If they do, all is well and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back