Honda SUV Engine-Failure Reports Spur Federal Investigation Into 1.7 Million Vehicles -WSJ

wemay

Site Donor 2023
The Wall Street Journal: Honda SUV Engine-Failure Reports Spur Federal Investigation Into 1.7 Million Vehicles.

Edited to add article do to paywall

The top U.S. auto-safety regulator is investigating whether 1.7 million SUVs made by Honda HMC should be recalled, after receiving several reports of vehicles losing power at high speeds.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a filing made public this week that it was launching the probe in response to several reports filed by Honda of vehicles allegedly losing power at highway speed without warning. The examination covers 1.72 million Honda CR-V and HR-V vehicles, including model years 2018-2022, the NHTSA said.

Last edited:
"several reports" isn't a number. I wonder how small or large "several" is.

The examination covers 1.72 million Honda CR-V and HR-V vehicles, including model years 2018-2022, the NHTSA said.
Those use the 1.5L engine that's also used in Civics, Accords, etc. When it comes to an engine "failure", how would it be restricted to the body that it gets put in vs all models with the same engine ? Can't read the article in case it's explained in there.

Those use the 1.5L engine that's also used in Civics, Accords, etc. When it comes to an engine "failure", how would it be restricted to the body that it gets put in vs all models with the same engine ? Can't read the article in case it's explained in there.
The article is small. I printed it under the image. I goes into no detail.

HRV uses a 1.8 engine....

Doesn't appear to be an engine issue.

Aye. Rear diff for AWD issue.

Talk about a ****ing bait and switch on article titles.

The largest probe covers reports alleging a loss of power for more than 1.7 million U.S. 2018-2022 model year Honda CR-V and HR-V vehicles. Those reports said some drivers lost power at highway speeds without warning and some reported differential seal leaks resulting in rear differential lock-up as the cause. Some reports allege the rear lock-up caused the driveshaft to fracture while the vehicle was in motion resulting in the vehicle being towed.

Reactions: hrv
Meh.. well see what comes of it. Investigations happen all the time.

I guess if you couldn't see that your diff drained out you might keep driving which would blow the rear end.

Back