Honda Start/Stop Warranty Extension

Got a letter from Honda Extending the warrantee on the start/stop system for 10 years unlimted miles. It covers the starter, electronics and valve adjustement. What on the start/stop system would warrant an valve adjustments?

Got a letter from Honda Extending the warrantee on the start/stop system for 10 years unlimted miles. It covers the starter, electronics and valve adjustement. What on the start/stop system would warrant an valve adjustments?
If I had to venture a guess, the constant stop start cycles. I don't care how an engine is designed, frequently stopping and starting, as the stop start system does is not as good as leaving the engine running. Having said that, waiting for a train with 100 cars in tow might warrant shutting an engine off, a traffic light in a crowded city, with constantly stopping then creeping along, leave it running. Your battery/batteries, starting system, engine, etc. will thank you. Flame away..............

Its for certain years and models. I dont have the letter in front of me right now. I think 2019-2023 Ridgelines and Passports and Pilots ??

By the way the OP is worded, it makes it sound like all the Hondas, regardless of which model. Maybe it’s just Ridgelines since you didn’t get one, but that would be odd since it would reason that their logic is identical across all models.
Hence, me asking what specific vehicle he has. ;)

No, I mean supporting evidence for your claims.
Common sense, reading up on it, knowing people servicing them, and people with a lot more knowledgeable than both of us telling me. That's enough evidence for me. Oh and a few people left stranded because of the system malfunctioning. IIRC @Trav was left stranded with his buddy in his buddy's stop/start vehicle. Receipts? I don't own a vehicle with it, and if I did it would be disabled as soon as I took title to the car. You've been around long enough it is better leaving an engine running than constantly turning it on and off. Yes even in this day and age.

Yes, I disabled mine right away.
I should do that too on my 17Accord for driver assist features; lesson learned, my transmission is in limping mode now but the corporate does not want to hear about it

no Honda for me anymore

I suspect that if the valve adjustment gets too far out of spec, start/stop function may be affected.

NOT the other way around.

How are they monitoring valve clearance?

(that's a serious question. It would be cool if they're actually doing that)

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
How are they monitoring valve clearance?

(that's a serious question. It would be cool if they're actually doing that)

"Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and engaging idle stop, the vehicle may not restart automatically
due to excessive cylinder pressure and/or low cranking torque. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the
vehicle by selecting Park and pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button.
NOTE: If 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update is applicable to the VIN, the PGM-FI software
must be updated first before the warranty extension applies.
Honda is extending the warranty coverage for valve adjustment to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no
mileage limitation"

Back