Honda snowblowers - do these ever go on sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Just used it for the first time today. It started right up (never used before). I'm a little disappointed with the throw distance though. I have it pointing to the right and a little up, and it seems like it barely throws snow 5 feet away. On their site they say "up to 26 feet". Is that only when you have the chute pointing to the front?

Or does it need more snow? We only got about 2-3 inches.

I have that exact blower, bought it last year. Just point the shoot up a little more. It will blow the snow just fine. I am using the Mobil 1 5W-30EP in mine.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: JTK
She's a beauty! Love the GC160 engine too.

Joel

Don't want to burst your bubble but the Honda GC engines are their bottom of the line models. Probably good enough for a snow thrower application being that it will be working in a cool, relatively dust free environment. Their GX series engines are much more robust. If I had a choice, it would be a GX every time. Actually, I'll take a Chinese clone of the GX over a GC as well.

Still the best darn single stage blower on the market that will out live me.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Still the best darn single stage blower on the market that will out live me.

Maybe the best 4-cycle single stage out there (I haven't tried the new Toro 4 cyle blowers), but I'd go out on a limb and say that the Toro 2-cycle blowers would edge out the Honda in power and throwing distance and with virtually no maintenance needed. I see more Toro 2 cycle blowers used commercially than the Hondas around here, actually I don't think I've seen a commercial outfit use a Honda single stage.

For commercial place to place use, I prefer the Toro S series or CR20, 3.5 hp 2 stroke motor that tip the scales at 38 pounds.

Look for the HS621 (GX 160) but it weighs almost 100 pounds if you do not have to move it on and off a trailer or pick up, it is great.

I bought a used HS35 (G150 engine) from the 80's and has been reliable, and easy to start for use at home and some neighbours.

Don't want to burst your bubble but the Honda GC engines are their bottom of the line models.

I'm well aware of the differences between the GX and GC series engine. Less expensive the GC series may be, but having owned a GC equipped, dealer bought, lower-end Honda Harmony push mower for 11yrs now, I wouldn't call it low quality. This thing has whacked (stalled out on) rocks, had maybe 3 oil changes and is still on the original untouched spark plug and original (shop-vac'd off) air filter. It starts easily, purrs like a kitten and still has more power than a ~6hp Briggs or Tecumseh flat-head engine mower.

Joel

Last edited:
Good to hear you've had good luck with your GC. I know of a few people who haven't been as fortunate. If I buy Honda, I ensure I get the GX series engines.

Is your GC engine, push rod or OHC.

Bet you the Chonda 208cc OHV on our Craftsman will outlive me... But to the point of the thread, I have never seen a Honda snowblower on sale. Every one I have seen has been eye-popping expensive. I thin the 26" I saw went for $800! We got our 26" Craftsman for slightly less than $600

Honda snow throwers are notoriously expensive. a guy across the street from me bought a Honda HS724 (7 h.p. 24") last year and paid $3000.00 for it. I bought my brand new 9528 (9.5 hp. 28") for less than half that. No doubt that the Honda is a more sophisticated machine and the engine is probably better than the B&S snow engine on mine.

However, my Simplicity moves more snow faster than the Honda, is very robust and easy to repair. Parts are readily available, I can fix it myself and it will likely operate flawlessly for fifteen years or more with reasonable maintenance. If my engine fails, I can re-power it for less than $350.00. As much as I appreciate Honda (and I can buy as many as I want), I cannot justify the cost when more capable machines are available at a fraction of the cost.

The problem is that with the premium domestic manufacturers (Simplicity, Ariens, Toro) all compromising their build quality, I doubt we will be able to buy a decent domestic in the not too distant future. When that happens, I'll be looking at Honda and recently introduced Yamaha machines.

I certainly haven't bought any snowblowers lately but I did buy a Honda generator and tiller from here:

linky

No affiliation, just the best prices I could find.

Well I just got through clearing off our 14" snowfall and some 4' drifts and the little Honda 520 did not miss a beat. Cleared it right down to the pavement.

It's OHC. I got it right around when they first came out, 1998-1999? I'm with you though in that if I had a choice at the time, I would have chosen to have a GX on there. I wasn't aware Honda made a pushrod OHV GC for push mower use??

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK

It's OHC. I got it right around when they first came out, 1998-1999? I'm with you though in that if I had a choice at the time, I would have chosen to have a GX on there. I wasn't aware Honda made a pushrod OHV GC for push mower use??

Joel

Not sure if Honda have push rod GC engines either. Most Honda GC singles I've seen are OHC. I do know that they do make OHC GC and GX engines. I have a Craftsman lawn tractor with a Honda GX series V twin SOHC. The same engine configuration is also built as a GC series.

How are these single-stage units with the hard-pack left at EOD from when the snowplows clear the road? Most everyone I know with a snowblower has a dual-stage...

Using a single stage snow thrower to remove a four foot high pile of end of driveway snow/ice/gravel, is like using an electric carving knife to cut down a tree. It can be done but it will take forever. Particularly if the EOD deposit has had time to set up.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
I certainly haven't bought any snowblowers lately but I did buy a Honda generator and tiller from here:

linky

No affiliation, just the best prices I could find.

I bought my 520 Honda from them - Frankly I forgot what I paid.

I like the 520 Honda blower. It seems stout enough compared to my Toro 421Q but frankly the quick shoot system makes the Toros faster. For the home owner not a big deal. In some ways the Honda seems to throw snow a bit further than the Toros I have. Easy to start and far less obnoxious in tone and noise than any other blower I run except for the Honda HS1132 2-stage I run only when conditions dictate the extra time needed to take it off the truck.

I bought it for use in the middle of the night and very early mornings because it is quieter. Not a snow balls chance I will run any 2-stoke blowers at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back