Honda snowblower - mfg's oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this in the owner's manual of a Honda HS520A single-stage snow blower with a 160cc engine (GC160):

HS520A_oil_rec.png

Would there really be a problem running 0w-30 oil in ambient temps of around 20F? I was thinking of just using GC in it...

Nope you would be good to go!
thumbsup2.gif

My Snowblower has a Tecumseh engine and it and it calls for a 5w30 and I have run SSO 0w30 and Amsoil 10w30 4 stroke formula and we get frigidly cold up here and it runs perfect.

Not sure... Maybe they are just trying to show you when it's absolutely needed, but then again why wouldn't they just spec 0w30 for all season? Too expensive??? I dunno.
grin2.gif

Wouldn't worry about it though... The technology in these engines has changed very little and the old ones used to survive on much lower quality oils from back in the day and most people never changed it. So you changing it, using a high quality oil will be more than fine IMO.
grin2.gif
Don't over think it!

You can obviously from the chart pick a few different viscosities depending on temps.

My dealer has seen a lot of ruined snowblowers from using an oil with too low ZDDP or viscosity.

I am running what he thinks is the best possible choice.

Motul 300 V 5W-40 1400 ZDDP Double ester....GRP V. synthetic.

$ 15.00/qt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pete591
You can obviously from the chart pick a few different viscosities depending on temps.

But the viscosity grades don't seem to overlap. Am I supposed to switch from 0w-30 to 5w-30 just because the outside temp rose from 0F to 20F? That's what I don't get.

That doesn't make sense because they are both a 30wt oil, just one flows better at colder temperatures... Who cares if it flows better at higher temperatures, I would think this would be a good thing ... No ?

That chart would overlap a heck of a lot more if it really took into consideration synthetic oil's flowability and heat resistance.

You would not use anything but a HDEO synthetic with lots of ZDDP anyways right?

Originally Posted By: Pete591
You would not use anything but a HDEO synthetic with lots of ZDDP anyways right?

Well, I'm hoping GC qualifies.

OW oils are all synthetic.
I've run synthetic 0W-30 for several years now, GC first and Mobil-1 the last two years; does great.
Ran 5W-30 before that, also synthetic.
18 year old simplicity w/ 8hp Techumseh.

Quattro Pete But the viscosity grades don't seem to overlap. Am I supposed to switch from 0w-30 to 5w-30 just because the outside temp rose from 0F to 20F? That's what I don't get. [/quote said:
Yeah, especially if the snowblower is garage kept. I would think the 0 weight would be for cold outside starting, and you wouldn't have that concern if it's ten below while you're blowing snow all over the place with a warmed engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back