Honda snow blower HSS1332

I have a two year old honda snowblower. Its the big one. I only have 15 hrs after 2 seasons. Changed is last year after season 1. I only put 5 hours on it last year. Should have changed the oil a few months ago, but is it really necessary? Used a full synthetic 5w-30 (valvoline). I just checked the oil and is clear as day. I see suggestions about using a HD oil that have additives which would help with the "acidic" issues, but not sure if that is even a problem with this type of limited use.

Not an issue @ that low usage....even PCMOs have those aditives...
Thank you. I hate to throw away good oil even if it is a small amount. One that is weird.. there is no oil filter on the snowblower. But with only 5 hours, pretty sure its ok. I just wondered if oil has a shelf time in an engine.

Thank you. I hate to throw away good oil even if it is a small amount. One that is weird.. there is no oil filter on the snowblower. But with only 5 hours, pretty sure its ok. I just wondered if oil has a shelf time in an engine.
I bet you wanted to say air filter.

I have a similar problem with a four year old Ariens Deluxe. It hasn't seen five hours of operation over the past two years. It has three year old 5w-30 Mobil 1 in the sump that looks brand new. I may change it next spring regardless of the hours, but at this point I am not worried about it. It seems as if we are overdue for a season with a lot of snow down here in my neck of the woods.

You only have 15 hrs on the engine?

I would change the oil after the next time you run it. Why? The engine is just getting through break-in and there is probably some metal glitter in the oil. The oil itself should still be in fine shape, but you want to flush out the break-in wear metals.

Run it a while to get the oil all hot and mixed up. You want to get all that wear metal glitter off the bottom of the crankcase and into suspension. Then shut it off and drain right away to flush it all out. Use a clean catch pan and see if the oil shimmers in the sunlight.

The OCD in me would change it after this season also, just to make sure the oil drains out clean. Then I would change to an OCI based on hours (as stated in your owner's manual) or every two or three years.

I change all my small engine equipment without hour meters yearly (lawn mower, string trimmer, power washer, snow blower, etc..). Overkill, probably, but I feel better about it and the cost is marginal for me. This helps with any condensation, wear metals and such. I use Mobil 1 or Mobil Super Synthetic so it is overkill...

Keep the oil in, once it goes through the break in process. My old LCT powered Poulan runs multiple seasons off one oil change index. I try to change based on hours of use, not time sitting.

You only have 15 hrs on the engine?

I would change the oil after the next time you run it. Why? The engine is just getting through break-in and there is probably some metal glitter in the oil. The oil itself should still be in fine shape, but you want to flush out the break-in wear metals.

Run it a while to get the oil all hot and mixed up. You want to get all that wear metal glitter off the bottom of the crankcase and into suspension. Then shut it off and drain right away to flush it all out. Use a clean catch pan and see if the oil shimmers in the sunlight.

The OCD in me would change it after this season also, just to make sure the oil drains out clean. Then I would change to an OCI based on hours (as stated in your owner's manual) or every two or three years.
I changed it after the first year of use, at 10 hrs. Probably still breaking in, but got rid of alot of the metals.

Back