Honda S2000 any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep looking a Honda's S2000 on their web site. Is it worth it as far as sports cars go?

A very competant sports car, from what I have read. Go to the Road & Track website for a good review.

See if you can contact member HRD (1966), as he has one and has posted UOA's.

I like the looks, and I've read only great things about that car. I'd have to see, by a test drive, whether it's worth the extra $20,000 over an MX-5 though.

Only a test drive will answer the question of how you like it. I drove the older model (2.0L), and found the ride to be too rough to use as a daily driver. But it sure was fun and loud. The newer model seems to be an improvement in several areas.

The S2K is a sports car designed for those who like a big top end rush in the engine department (and not designed for those who like a big mid range shove in the back). It is a very competant car in the suspension, brakes, driveline, with typical Honda actramine.

Torque is over-rated, as long as you have a good shifter and you like quick double-clutching!
grin.gif

I'm surprised they would use a plastic rear window. That's definitely a turn-off.

I got a opportunity to drive an S2K last Christmas. Sweet car; excellent fit both inside and especially body panels, no rattles, excellent street behavior, and when the VTEC kicks in, hang on! You do sit IN the car, and for vertically challenged folks, this could be an issue, although my 5'1 1/2" (gotta have that 1/2") wife had no issues, judging from her spirited driving and grin. I'd say, an excellent vehicle, with lots of fun factor...

There's a DVD called Best Motoring: Rotary Reborn (2003) in which they throw around some Japanese sporty cars. (Netflix has it.) One segment raced four S2000s in various states of tune, which is unforgettable for how enthusiastically the drivers described the feel of the S2000.

quote:

Just my opinion from one that has owned more MG's and Triumph's than I would care to admit.

These are true sports cars--2 seaters that weigh in at 1600 pounds. None of the modern sports cars comes within 1000 pounds of a true sports car (excepting miata which is still 500 pounds porky).

Mitch: True in what you say but, the hp of the S2000 is far greater than anything British made from that time, except maybe a Jag, and the S2000 will out handle any stock MG or Triumph ever made. An old finely tuned Mini Cooper S might give it a run for the money through the curves but not on the straight. I would like to drive one of the new Mini's from BMW. I hear their fun little cars.

THe car drives great. You have to like high winding motors, and the shifting that entails. It will burn rubber in second gear, so power is darn good.YOu won't get the shove in the back you would from a Corvette. Be careful about pricing. A similar Miata could be had for 8K less, but the Honda is at least 25% better in power and feel.

General Eclectic: "There's no torque below 4K meaning that you're going to be rowing that shifter constantly. Not my idea of fun."

Dude, I'm not sure we're even the same species!
shocked.gif
gr_eek2.gif

--- Bror Jace

It's ok only if you think paying that kind of money for a buzzy 4-cylinder is a good idea. I test drove an '04 and was not at all impressed. The chassis is ok, but not spectacular. The engine is a typical Honde gem, but just awful to live with. There's no torque below 4K meaning that you're going to be rowing that shifter constantly. Not my idea of fun, thanks. Plus, IIRC, it had a plastic back window. No excuse for that these days. The boot that covered the top when down was a horror to install and remove because it uses those ***-awful ball-snaps that last about three weeks before the fingers in the catch break. I thought the signt lines were not good. The beltline if very high and visibility out the back is virtually nonexistent. It was not at all difficult to walk away with my checkbook intact.

I had the total opposite opinion as GeneralEclectic.

First, where can you get a MX-5 for $14,000. The Honda S2000 pretty well loaded can be had for $34,000.

Now the car. It is a TRUE sports car the way a TRUE sports car was meant to be. You set down in it, the seats give you total support, it has a great top end, handles the way a TRUE sports car should, and fantastic brakes. Now if you just want a two seat top down ride around town, get the MX-5. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the MX-5, but it is not a TRUE sports car unless you spend a lot of money on it. Just my opinion from one that has owned more MG's and Triumph's than I would care to admit.

There are many good deals on used ones out here.
They are great cars but like someone already said there is is no low end torque.

Still a good car and they are quick but if u like to be slamed in the seat this is not the car for u.

If your into fast 4cyl cars the mitsubishi evo is much more fun to drive but im not sure about its drivline reliability but the engine should be stout.

The evo will slam u into the seat and are a ton of fun to drive.

Agree, but if you want to be slammed in the seat, get a Vette. I had a chance to drive a S2000 through the Smokey Mountains two years ago and let me tell you, that was a trip.

Back in the mid to late 60's and early 70's when I was in to British sports cars, all my friends with the seat slamming muscle cars would ask me if I wanted to race. I always said sure if I can pick where we race. I never lost. Something to be said about taking a hard right then hard left at 70 when the other guy keeps going straight. Most embarassing with your cheerleader girl friend in the car.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
Isn't the redline at 8500rpm? With a redline like that, who needs torque below 4000rpm?

I'm OK with the high RPM horsepower, if it had lots of it. It doesn't have that much power.

I don't think a MX-5 can be characterized as simply an "around the town" car. It all comes down to what you want. The S2000 is by far a more capable car than the MX-5, however, the MX-5 offers world class handling which is the essence of what a sports car is all about.

As an analogy, one might compare a Kawasaki Ninja 250R to a Honda CBR 600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back