Honda recalling 1.5T cars in China - Fuel Dilution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love these kind of statements:

"Honda officials said there had been no reports of accidents. They said the engine oil issue doesn’t affect the engine or the car’s performance."

We know better....

Last edited:
Thanks for the link.

I agree demarpaint, they never consider the wear or impact on the longevity of the engine in their statements. If the engine isn't going to blow up, move along and don't worry.

There is a document published by Donfeng, Honda’s Chinese partner, on this issue. The translation from Mandarin is rough, but it basically says:

1) Anything up to 30mm above full on the engine dipstick is “safe”
2) 25mm above the “full” mark equals about 25% fuel dilution

Hmm. Maybe “safe”is different than “harmless” in Honda-speak?

The recall announced by Honda was rejected by the Chinese government as inadequate. So at the moment there’s a government-ordered stop-sale order on all 1.5T Honda Civics and CRVs sold there.

The issue in China was most prevalent in cold-weather areas. Similar stories are abundant in US/Canada Honda forums. This could get interesting.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Thanks for the link.

I agree demarpaint, they never consider the wear or impact on the longevity of the engine in their statements. If the engine isn't going to blow up, move along and don't worry.

Exactly, and if it isn't an issue why address it? lol

Don't these engines use 0W16 oils? the fuel might increase the viscosity
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Don't these engines use 0W16 oils? the fuel might increase the viscosity
laugh.gif

grin.gif

Sad when China recalls them. They're not exactly known for being the pinnacle of quality and standards, so when *they* recall something and order a stop sale, you KNOW the car must be a piece of junk.
15.gif
57.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I wouldn't worry, it's a Honda.
lol.gif

Those were the exact words from a sales associate when I was looking for a replacement for the Focus last fall.

I laughed out loud; then proceeded to leave the dealership since that's the only statement they could offer for my concerns of long term reliability of DI and turbo.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
lol.gif

Those were the exact words from a sales associate when I was looking for a replacement for the Focus last fall.

I laughed out loud; then proceeded to leave the dealership since that's the only statement they could offer for my concerns of long term reliability of DI and turbo.

I heard that too a few years back when I was car shopping with my son. I laughed too. I sold Honda's I wasn't very impressed then, and I'm still not.

You just know that the Chinese govt is going to bring the hammer down hard when a Japanese car has an issue like this.
It would probably be largely swept under the rug if it happened with a Chinese model.

That said, sounds like Honda is trying to do some sweeping of their own...

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
You just know that the Chinese govt is going to bring the hammer down hard when a Japanese car has an issue like this.
It would probably be largely swept under the rug if it happened with a Chinese model.

That said, sounds like Honda is trying to do some sweeping of their own...

This really got started when bunches of Honda CRV and Civic owners got tired of being ignored by dealers, went in large groups to blockade dealerships and started a vigorous social media campaign. Maybe the Chinese government favors domestic companies, but with this level of discontent they probably had to do something aggressive.

As new car ownership is a fairly recent thing in China and a big deal, I suspect owners actually read the Owner’s Manual and checked oil as instructed. So they were probably much more likely to notice a creeping sump level than their North American counterparts. Good for them!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
lol.gif

where are the Honda fanboys to tell us of their high quality vehicles? if this involved a big three product, the thread would already be 10 pages long.maybe it's sinking into their skulls that ALL brands have issues.

the 1.5T has a nice pull, and then back off the boost and turbo offers this:

The dilution is not impossible to deal with, I draw it down with a MityVac one quart then refil to top with fresh, 10min. once a month in the winter, I'm thinking it keeps excessive vol. from the system and rejuvenates the add pack.

I thought the whole direct injection thing was put in place to reduce emissions. And now you have new cars running rich with black exhaust pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back